Gps units and Detectors compatbility...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, :)
I actually have 2 questions ]:D

I am interested in purchasing a hand held Gps unit and was wondering if anyone has had problems with interference from their Detectors?
If so which units?
I have a GPZ so any info regarding this Detector and Gps units would be fantastic :Y: ;)

2nd question....

So far I am looking at getting a Garmin 64s or a 64st.
As far as I'm aware they're both pretty much the same, but the 64st has built in maps ;)
I don't know what the maps are or if they are relevant to what I want, so a bit more research is needed there.
If anybody knows what maps are built in to the 64st please enlighten me ;)
Otherwise I might get the 64s and buy the maps I need.

THANKS to everyone in advance for you help and advise :Y: :Y: :D

This is a Garmin models comparo from when I was looking for a GPS a couple of years back (in the end I bought the Etrex 30, because it was lighter with better battery life):
1504846083_garmin_comparo.jpg

I bought the GPSMAP 64 because it has the external antenna which picks up satellites better with dense bush or thick tree coverage. Bought my topo maps on a mini sd card for $25 from eBay. Use it every time I go detecting and use rechargeable batteries. I also carry a spare pair of rechargeables in my backpack. Doesn't affect my detector in any way but I'm using a 4500. Other than marking my car position before heading deep into the bush I load up all my data I've saved from Google Earth into the GPS and can walk directly to those spots. I did a Youtube video a couple of months ago showing how to load up Google Earth files onto a GPS. If you search Youtube for "Uploading Google Earth files to a GPS for gold prospecting" you should find it.

Cheers guys :Y:
I am leaning towards the 64s and doing what RichterScale has done and purchasing the maps from ebay on a sd card ;)
The weight doesn't bother me too much, when it comes down to 100-200g difference I don't think it will really be much of an issue.
I'm glad to know you haven't had any EMI issues or any interference, I hadn't heard anyone complaining about it but thought I had better ask before I buy :D
I will check out youtube and watch the vid you mentioned, thanks again :)