Got me thinking

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The next gold rush is going to be in outta space, on the moon to start with, then on asteroids.

It sounds far fetched but it's closer then we think, maybe within the next 5-15 years and we will see space mining.

I read something the other day saying that the South Pole of the moon, the top 10 inches of dirt is something like 100 x more gold rich then the best ground on earth. Only issue is that it cost a quarter mil to put a litre of water on the moon. Really going to need a Recirculating highbanker I think!

DT

you're probably right Diggertom, I read something similar. That people (china I think) are researching how to catch asteroids and bring them into earths orbit to mine for rare earth minerals.

I'm actually trying to go back to school to do geology, was thinking that I could try and specialize in geophysics or something so I could cash in on this space mining thing that I think is gonna happen in the next 10-20 years and go work for spaceX :p:p one can dream..

And on point with the theme of this thread - I often wondered what it would be like to be pioneering these gold rush's. I read about a rush to outback WA (kurnalpi) where the first diggers to go out were literally breaking chunks of gold off at ground level from where the quartz reef had eroded away and left the gold free standing and looking like coral. and other accounts of not needing a pan or anything just turn over the soil and pick out 20 - 30g of gold out of one shovel full.. not so easy out there now though unfortunately :(

Diggertom said:
The next gold rush is going to be in outta space, on the moon to start with, then on asteroids.

It sounds far fetched but it's closer then we think, maybe within the next 5-15 years and we will see space mining.

I read something the other day saying that the South Pole of the moon, the top 10 inches of dirt is something like 100 x more gold rich then the best ground on earth. Only issue is that it cost a quarter mil to put a litre of water on the moon. Really going to need a Recirculating highbanker I think!
DT
Not far fetched one bit' I read all about Lunar gold mining about 8 years ago until I decided the truck wouldn't make it'
I gave up...
But others still dreaming about it obviously as a lot more company's involved, now don't read to far into it last I did there was one company worried about googly eyed aliens' but the Chinese might have cut them a deal by now :)

Billy said:
Wally69 said:
Two days ride from here NNW, the features are unmistakable :lol:

and I forgot, the story starts with.......The pub was full to the brim, I had to fight my way to the bar just to get a drink and all the ladies were taken.......

Looks good!!

Maybe in the same hunting grounds but who knows where wally is? ;)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1433950952_quartz_arrow_2.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1433950952_quartz_arrow_1.jpg

No pub unfortunately and the "ladies" were quite a ride away! ;)

Cheers,
Billy.
Burrendong ?

JeffP said:
Billy said:
Wally69 said:
Two days ride from here NNW, the features are unmistakable :lol:

and I forgot, the story starts with.......The pub was full to the brim, I had to fight my way to the bar just to get a drink and all the ladies were taken.......

Looks good!!

Maybe in the same hunting grounds but who knows where wally is? ;)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1433950952_quartz_arrow_2.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1111/1433950952_quartz_arrow_1.jpg

No pub unfortunately and the "ladies" were quite a ride away! ;)

Cheers,
Billy.
Burrendong ?

The one and only Jeff ;)
Not sure where the other guys photos were taken and still can't find Wally!! :D

Cheers,
Billy.

dwt said:
Tathradj said:
Bendigo Creek mate.
Tis indeed mate, the book made reference of an area called the 'Slate Bar' which is where gold was first discovered on Bendigo creek :)
I'm still looking for it....bugger Lassiter. Interesting I bumped into a bloke from bendigo at least 80 not out that assured me the current course has significantly deviated from the original course which he went on to explain. Old slate bar may just be in someone's backyard or under a sealed road! I'll bet a penny to a pound if you spent enough time in the old photos and and a map you'd turn up some surprises. And let's imagine for one minute not only old mate was right, in that rush what's to say the course wasn't directed or dug in a manner that was different again to his recollection. Many many ozs underneath the streets me thinks. If it were up to me the botanical gardens wouldn't be so botanical.... :p

Heres another one that may or may not have been tried by the old timers
1434112248_dsc00010.jpg

I bloody near got my boat stuck trying to get close enough to get a good look at the reef & see if it looked mineralized. ( it is ) Its location would suggest that it probably wasnt tested by the old timers.

Latest posts