Got me a Telescope

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tathradj

Doug
Reaction score
Sorry,
No pic's .
( that is coming soon. )
but just came in from a half hour of Star Gazing.

Bloody Nora. :eek:

Had a good look at the moon craters, :cool:

Glanced at Saturn,
That is a wonder, O:)
Then had a good look at my favorite,
Alpha Centuri, :Y: :Y: :Y:

While I was away on a project, I went to the open day at
Parks Radio Telescope and well, Being me, I asked a few very pointed questions.

Got to drive the dish and point it and a few point's of interest. :clap: :clap:

That blew me away and now I have an appointment early next year to do what I want for about
an hour.
All done from here at home in Tathra sitting in a comfortable chair which means I am not screwing
my neck out of place peering through an eye piece. LOL

I bought a 75 mm Newtonian Telescope and even though it has it's limitation's, Bought back a few distant
memories of when I was a kid out in the back yard in Bega spending hours all rugged up peering up a tube
until me scope got broke.

what are your experiences in this field.

I am hooked.
Gotta get me a bigger 'scope. LOL

Congrats mate, They really are incredible things, and you will have some fun,

I was using one of my spotting scopes one night and frightened the life out of me self in the early hours of the morning just looking at the moon and then a Big Owl flew between my scope and the moon, I could see it plain as day and the chances of that happening are pretty slim an not what I was expecting either, but it looked huge and was a shock to the system just the same,

My Spotters are not as powerful as the one you have but they bring the moon up close enough to see all the craters, Good luck mate and have fun.

J.

Mate, drop into my place in Canberra one day.

1565904598_fb_20160907_11_06_54_saved_picture-920x612.jpg

1565904598_fb_20160819_17_39_19_saved_picture-920x612.jpg

It starts with a small scope an then grows for there.....
This one was taken from my font yard in the suburbs north of Melbourne. it is 15 hours of total exposure and a lot of image processing. It was taken with a Skywatcher ED80 on an HEQ5 mount and the camera was an SBIG st2000xm using guiding. I also have a 8 inch skywatcher carbon fibre f4 on a NEQ6 mount.
It is a fantastic hobby and fits in great with metal detecting, as being out in the forest on those clear nights and able to see the stars in far great detail than you can ever see in Melbourne

1565905186_hh_glowy.jpg

The scope I got is from Aldi.
$99.99

That is a brilliant setup Sandbagger.
And yes, I will take you up on that.

It will take me a while to get to that stage
balenim1000

Incredible Photo.

balenim1000 said:
It starts with a small scope an then grows for there.....
This one was taken from my font yard in the suburbs north of Melbourne. it is 15 hours of total exposure and a lot of image processing. It was taken with a Skywatcher ED80 on an HEQ5 mount and the camera was an SBIG st2000xm using guiding. I also have a 8 inch skywatcher carbon fibre f4 on a NEQ6 mount.
It is a fantastic hobby and fits in great with metal detecting, as being out in the forest on those clear nights and able to see the stars in far great detail than you can ever see in Melbourne

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11071/1565905186_hh_glowy.jpg

Jeez that's beautiful. thanks for posting it.

Sandbagger said:

That is a great setup, just right for Canberra. I only have an 8" newtonian that I hand ground myself 50 years ago, and made the mount as well, then I went and bought a Schmidt Cassegrain 200mm with equatorial tracking motor. But I must say that apart from the initial chasing stuff around the sky, that they have hardly been used for the last 30 years, as my work moved me everywhere around the world and Oz.

Rob P.

That is absolutely awesome! Well done Sandbagger :Y:

I've got to ask you guys, are they the natural colors? I've often wondered when you see pics online if they are actually as they appear, or are they enhanced some way to highlight the different things that appear in them?

Deepseeker said:
That is absolutely awesome! Well done Sandbagger :Y:

I've got to ask you guys, are they the natural colors? I've often wondered when you see pics online if they are actually as they appear, or are they enhanced some way to highlight the different things that appear in them?
Here's a good article on the colours.

My camera is an RGBL colour camera, so I bump the saturation and contrast of what the camera picks up on it's own. I have no narrowband filters for mine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...the_differences_between_false_color_and_true/

That is an awesome link and explanation thanks Sandbagger! It kind of reminds me of what we do with a metal detector & signal enhancer, to get meaningful interpretation of signals, except in this instance you are trying to make different gasses, elements, particles etc reveal themselves from the information received. :Y:

Love your observatory!

Latest posts