Good v Bad

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, i think ive got most aspects of park/grass detecting 90% right now! Went on a long drive today, found an old run down playgroynd 1960s i would say, and the remains of an old school, was thinking this should give me coins or more! Nothing not even a ring pull! Then stopped for lunch at a country pub, near the hotel was a park with 3 newish rebound tennis courts, thought would give it a swing, and found 2 coins and my first bit of jewelry a girls Pendant but no chain! Amazing how one place has no treasure but a 5min hunt can give the goods! We then hit one of the beaches and found nothing again! Is it me doing something wrong on the beach or are beaches tooo over detected! I know the X-TERRA 505 is not the best beach detector but all i find is junk and more junk! All most to the point i might give the beach away! Or wait till summer comes around! Speak about junk i have found 4 Padlocks in the 4 weeks i have been detecting, whats the go with buried locks! Cheers

Around here the beaches paid off just after the storm but now all the beaches have been done over by everyone and there dog, The only things that are there is floating light junk that washed in about a week after it.

Some areas are obvious targets for hoards of detectorist, and the beach comes close to the top of the list for easy detecting with a relatively small amount of junk, hence many of the easier coin targets are cleaned up on a daily basis, especially during the warmer months. Beaches are often hotly contested for dry sand finds and recent drops, get there at the wrong time of day and you will simply miss out (depending on how thorough they are). Some people sit in their cars to pick out the most lucrative and frequented spots, and as soon as the beach is vacated, they hit it hard.

Beach conditions also play a major role in whether you will find anything of worth or not, particularly if you intend to hit the wet sand, tidal flats, rocks, gutters/cuts, or shallow water. Some days you can drive down to the beach, and just one look is enough to make a decision on whether it is even worth getting out of the car for a go. You really do have to keep constant tabs on the sand movement, ideal tides and weather conditions, and what sort of erosion is evident to give yourself the best chance.

Some older sites like abandoned schools may have also been hit hard previously by those who had done some research, whereas some more obvious locations like tennis courts can be simply overlooked or dismissed at times. You simply don't know till you get out of the car and give it a go.

I used to work over a park with an older tennis club situated at one end, and it proved to be very lucrative for pre-decimals. It was tucked away in suburbia, and somehow manged to escape the attention of most detectorists. The park section was relatively new, but the tennis courts dated back to the 1940's, so it was always going to be prospective for pre-decimals.

Bottom line is that you will always have days filled with disappointment, where you often feel more like a garbage collector than a detectorist searching for valuables. In a way I have sort of given up on the idea of looking for spendables, simply due to how often my local spots are cleaned out (thinking after community events, tot lots, and most local parks). Deeper pre-decimals can be more of a challenge to find, hence can still be regularly found by testing areas and doing a little research (and sometime by blind luck). :)

goto an old area, and drive around till you find something with possible history. Look at the age of surrounding houses/buildings, and construction age of road gutters.

I've hit several beaches in the last few weeks, 2 had barely anything and are probably detected regularly by someone, another had a few bits and pieces the other had heaps of stuff and is generally the busiest of the lot, it had hundreds of good targets, literally every 2 feet was a coin. A bloke was detecting it and we had a good chat, was a top bloke, he had a detector that couldn't get near the wet sand though, so I left the base of the erosion zone for him and I did the rest down to the water line, I got silver everywhere, poor other fella never got 1 silver coin, though did get a silver bracelet.

My point is that somedays you just get lucky.

So how often would most of you detect the same parks/grounds? Every month or 3 months or yearly!

If its producing pre decimals i might go weekly until it becomes slim pickens then i might give it a go every now & then after rain Shooting for $$ depends on how much use it gets. Size is another factor. Cheers. You never know what you might find or where. Good Luck TB.

Try the park after a sporting event and see if it is worth going over afterwards, just stick to the main spectator area. I pulled just over $100 over 3 nights from a new field I've just hit, plenty of gold sunbakers but all the coins were from the canteen and the side of the field area. Only problem with that amount of coins you'll have more ring pulls and bottle caps.

Tugboat said:
So how often would most of you detect the same parks/grounds? Every month or 3 months or yearly!

The fields I've been doing have taken me over 6 months to do so far and I still have about another 3 months of detecting left there to do, these are huge sports fields. Once I finish gridding them I'll just go back to doing sidelines and spectator areas for recent drops, but I need to finish gridding first as there are still a lot of silvers there.

1000 people every weekend attend sport matches there. ;)

Latest posts