Golf Ball hunting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any of you fellas tried golf ball hunting in a river? This location was not on the golf course, it was downstream.

I did this with a mate the other day after the recent rains. It was good fun. The river was up, so goggles were required. It is not that different to looking for gold, trying for spots you reckon the balls will be, but no pans required!

I was, however, surprised at where there were no golf balls. This one spot, complete 90 degree bend after a rapid dropping into a deep pool. I thought for sure there would be heaps. But there were only a couple. And there were patches of golf balls further downstream. So I dunno what was going on there.

Anyway, found 425. Shame golf balls aren't worth their weight in gold.

You might be able to get something back at the golf club for the good ones. Perhaps there's a golfing blog somewhere online?

:) Dare you to hunt for Golf Balls at this Brisbane Golf Course. :lol: .. Been there since the 2011 floods washed them in... Now they are Breeding...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ks-invade-golf-course-Australia-flooding.html

1617182455_unzztitled.jpg

LW....

425 golf balls found!! :lol:

That's a classic. Mate even if you can sell for $1 each it's nice.

If you go and hit them of a high hill , on a property , I hope you go and pick them up again......

How many years does it take for a golf ball to decompose ???

Google tells me it takes 100 to 1,000 years for a golf ball to decompose naturally .

I bought a bag of golf balls that were made for hitting off cruise ships
Forget what the inside was made from - the outer hard covering was made from bird poop
Some disintegrated on club impact, most sailed off just like a golf ball.
I put one in a bucket of water at home and 2 months later there was nothing left but a small bit of white grey sludge

Well, if there is a golf course anywhere in the world that has sharks, it'd be Australia.

Come on guys, where are the Greg Norman jokes?

Mike678, yep I looked that up too after you mentioned it. It is certainly a long time!

I am not an out and out "Greenie " but I do think about all this pollution which is getting worse and worse . I am happy to clean up my rubbish but not for other people . We all have to do our bit . When I finished with my opal lease , I burnt all the rubbish I could . All the oil tins and metal was buried . Very remote area , only saw the mines dept . once in 3 years , nobody else .

Hope to go and pay a visit this year , not been for about 4 years .

Totally get you Mike.

I think I'm about the same. Always clean up after myself after a camp. Totally annoyed at the way people treat public areas.

Am I guilty of smashing a golf ball off a mountain top and not being able to find it later? Well, yeah... I try though.

But I fill my holes in and am pretty respectful of where I visit.

I'm all for highbanking and the rest, shame we can't do it anymore, in NSW at least.

There is a fine line. Some people don't give a rat's, but you and I do. And so do most of the guys on this forum, reckon.

Here's to finding a bit of colour!

brendomac said:
Totally get you Mike.

I think I'm about the same. Always clean up after myself after a camp. Totally annoyed at the way people treat public areas.

Am I guilty of smashing a golf ball off a mountain top and not being able to find it later? Well, yeah... I try though.

But I fill my holes in and am pretty respectful of where I visit.

Haha if you fill in the holes at the golf course would peave the golfers hshaha

G'day

Collecting gold balls and selling them back to the golfers was something we often did as kids, and we were not adverse to dashing out onto the course and snatching recently landed ones either (seemed like a good idea at the time) and also swimming in the leach ridden smelly swamp on the edge of the course diving down to fetch lost ones, the golfers realizing what we were up to and like idiots we would dash across the fairway on our bikes as a short cut rather than take the long way round the swamp, as the golf balls shot past us as we were now moving targets for them.

One time when I was not with my mates another boy who I knew of was with them collecting gold balls, they tried the dash across the fairway tactic as we had done many times before and this boy was hit in the head (temple) with a golf ball, he came off his bike and after a short time collapsed and then went in to a coma, some time later he died in hospital, needless to say we were never allowed anywhere near the gold course after that, but you know kids will be kids and we had little fear in us back then and no idea of self preservation as you do when you get older.

cheers

stayyerAU

Saw a crow with a golf ball in it's beak , sitting on the fence at the beach . It flew down onto the beach and buried the ball in a foot print . Why ? After he/she had gone I recovered the ball .

There's quite a few of them in Albert Park Lake in Vic. I used to play the old par 3 course there with my brother-inlaw on a Saturday morning just for fun, long before they got rid of it for the grand prix. Some smart A's in a little yacht started taunting and hurling foul mouthed abuse at the golfers on the course as they took a swing, from the safety of their little boat out on the lake. My brother in-inlaw, all 6' 3" of him and a pretty good golfer, took out a heap of balls, calmly set them up on tees, and drove them one by one at the boat. He got a couple of hole-in-ones too, in off the sail. I even contributed some of mine too until we ran out of balls, it was much better value for the green fees than playing the course anyway, seeing this little sail boat trying to get away with two idiots still hurling abuse but no longer thinking it was funny. :lol:

One thing that is interesting though brendomac, is the golf balls not congregating where you would expect them to in a river. I wonder if it is because they are more buoyant than gold, and perfectly round perhaps?

Latest posts