Gold Prospecting, Detecting, General information/interest books

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a copy coming in the post! Its interesting to think about the these isolated fields heaving with the industry and noise of 20-30,000 diggers.

Sounds like a great read.
i have been through the area and as warble said its hard to imagine.
If you like a good read hunt up Ion Idriess's books.
He is one of Australia's forgotten authors.
Back of Cairns and The Tin Scratchers are FNQ books

Enjoy

Scotty

Another good one if you can get hold of it is "Goldrushes of the Fifties" by W.E.Adcock . this is a book of anecdotal stories related to the author by the miners on the ground at the rushes of the 1850s.

Hello all . Can someone please help by suggesting some good books to purchase to find the locations of the old gold mining towns that no longer exist. Thanks in advance

You need to do your own homework as to which towns - then you will find the references you need in this list (it was made for Walhalla but includes much of Eastern Victoria). Central Victoria (more important for gold) would be excluded to a fair degree.

Google these details to find the list.

1650803651820.png

Hello all . Can someone please help by suggesting some good books to purchase to find the locations of the old gold mining towns that no longer exist. Thanks in advance
Have a look at an author named Luke Steenhuis.
He wrote
Ghost towns of the mountain goldfields,
Shallow gold occurences in Western Victoria,
Shallow gold occurences in Eastern Victoria - Upper Thomson,
Shallow gold occurences in Eastern Victoria - Upper Goulburn.

Fascinating reading for any fossicker or history buff.
Good luck.

Last edited:
There are hundreds of old geological parish plans (published and unpublished) that can be downloaded for free from Earth Resources Vic.
They are a good source of info into old localities but you have to scour each.
Also modern parish maps showing property boundaries often show groups of smaller properties that were once townships or intended to be townships that never eventuated. Again you would have to carefully look through each of a large number of such maps.

Probably will not find many in Vic as most are still populated to this day
There are a number in the mountains east and northeast of Melbourne that have disappeared, but they beccame quickly overgrow in the forest after bushfires burnt the last buildings - Grant would be one example where I could still recognise the streets and outlines of houses, and where chimneys were still standing when I was in my late teens. No more. There are many more - eg around the Haunted Stream-Stirling area, Cassilis, Enochs Point - it os a long list. Even some that still exist only have 30 or less inhabitants (eg along the Jamieson-Matlock road.

There are a few in central Victoria but most have survived but some are gone (eg German Gully near Yandoit)

There may be a few that have local names also, such as Showells Hill and Nobbies . Basically areas so named after the families who had lived there for generations. Nobbies a very Gold rich area as the farm took up the most part of Moonlight Flats

While there a a few old towns that no longer exist the majority of old towns are still going, not necessarily strong though. Here's a few references for starters, although scarce most of these should be available through libraries. The most valuable info I've found is to look for old "rushes" that were worked BUT deserted as new "rushes" were located, many were revisited later as gold became scarcer. Historical societies are a good source of info if you have specific areas in mind ... not sure whether you are targeting gold or relics, or both.
16E42B1E-D703-4E9F-AF80-3CCAE498F988_1_201_a.jpeg87EF9BCA-0005-4754-B565-0DDFF9605E03_1_201_a.jpeg
tempImage0W4eNB.png

Another book worthy of sourcing is “Victoria’s forgotten goldfield” which relates the history of the Crooked River goldfield. It tells of places such as Bulltown, Hogtown and Ramtown.ACD02CE7-8960-4A40-B579-47A92AAC4828.jpeg

Latest posts