Gold Prospecting, Detecting, General information/interest books

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
most of idriess's books are collectors items so keep your eyes peeled and you will pick one up in not so good condition to just read it but they are not plentiful that's for sure. others by idriess are the tin scratchers, gold dust and ashes, the silver city and back o cairns. off the subject but the great boomerang also a good read.

DrDuck said:
An interesting read is the semi-autobiographical, And There's Gold Out There, by Ed Waller.

It's a fictionalised account of his adventures prospecting with an old hand around the South of NSW in the years before WW2.

There is plenty of technical detail included with a range of interesting yarns and stories.

Well worth tracking down, and the book that got me interested in prospecting when I was a kid back in the '60's.

Ion Idriess's Prospecting For Gold is the bible, and should be on every prospector's book shelf.

Hey Dr Duck, Ed Wallers Books are a great read. I love "And There's Gold Out There" One of the few books I have read completely through. As you say it does have some good technical info and a few good belly laughs too. I also have a copy of "There's Opal Out here"

Cheers
CreekBed

Gixer24 said:
Looking at $600+ for "Prospecting for gold"!

Thanks for all your suggestions though, great list!

Some of the 1st and 2nd editions bring a lot more than that, have seen a 1st edition for $2300.00, but you should be able to pick up one of the paperback reprints from 1979 or again I think in the 80s for less than $100.00

They come up on ebay from time to time.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PROSPECT...8514936?hash=item4d474a0478:g:YdsAAOSwyKxXh2q-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Prospect...708690?hash=item4d472e74d2:g:SEUAAOSwyKxXhNih

Hey Dr. Duck............. I'll give you $35.00 for it. :)
I've had a bit of a search & can't find it for <$100.00.
I would love to buy/get a copy & have a read.

Rob.

DrDuck said:
An interesting read is the semi-autobiographical, And There's Gold Out There, by Ed Waller.

It's a fictionalised account of his adventures prospecting with an old hand around the South of NSW in the years before WW2.

There is plenty of technical detail included with a range of interesting yarns and stories.

Well worth tracking down, and the book that got me interested in prospecting when I was a kid back in the '60's.

Ion Idriess's Prospecting For Gold is the bible, and should be on every prospector's book shelf.

Gidday Doc,

Id never heard of that book before. I jumped on line and found it and a bonus "and there's opal out there" by Ed Waller for 50 bucks the pair.
Cheers for the heads up

GT :)

Hotrob said:
Hey Dr. Duck............. I'll give you $35.00 for it. :)
I've had a bit of a search & can't find it for <$100.00.
I would love to buy/get a copy & have a read.

Rob.
I'll pay 40$ :lol:

Thanks for the comments does anyone know where to get the Ion Idriss book from
Cheers

Well you guys have cost me 3grs of the good yellow stuff ($150.00).

I bid on Ion Idreiss's book "Prospecting for Gold" & Ed Wallers "And theres gold out there" over the weekend on Ebay & won them both. Probably more than I wanted to pay (we all say that though don't we) but as I'm a bit of a book nut I'm happy & looking forward to the next best thing to finding gold...... reading about others finding gold.
If anyone wants me I'm in the library. :D

Rob.

Gaz&Al said:
Thanks for the comments does anyone know where to get the Ion Idriss book from
Cheers
Shoot me a PM mate, you might be in luck. I just picked up a spare copy cheap in an old bookshop in Hobart today, then saw your thread. I'll be back in Canberra later in the week.
Cheers,
JD

Sorry if I am repeating here- have only browsed the thread... Check out your local Library, a great spot to check out a book for free before purchasing. Most Libraries can also order in from other Libraries for free or a small cost (My Library is $2 only).

8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.(
Rob wrote said:
I bid on Ion Idreiss's book "Prospecting for Gold" & Ed Wallers "And theres gold out there" over the weekend on Ebay & won them both.

Well looks like I'll have plenty of time to read them.............I've just been told by the Dr. (no not you Dr Duck) I've been running around on a ruptured Achilles & I'll be in plaster &/or surgery for 6 weeks.
I recon you fellow forum members will be getting sick of me soon........ six BL--DY weeks.
Rob.

Gaz&Al said:
Hi guys,
Just wondering what people's thoughts are for good literature on the subject of gold fossicking is there a bible as such cheers
I like Gold and Gosts by Dehavilin .great maps and figures off what they got in that area

Latest posts