Gold is where you find it...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
Our friend Jason is into panning for gold so we introduced him to a new spot.

1514717924_jason_at_waterfall_gully.jpg

We came here earlier in the year when Waterfall Gully was running crystal clear water and went home with a few little pink zircons from amongst the black sand.

1514718049_sandra_at_waterfall_gully.jpg

Apparently we didn't dig deep enough to get to the gold so Jason came along to show us how it's done.

1514719711_phil_at_waterfall_gully.jpg

We found a few specks but they were so small we needed the jewellers loop to see them. When we returned to the campsite he spotted my trailer spare wheel full of gravel that landed there during our trip to the north west. He said "I should be panning your spare wheel".

1514719033_trailer_spare.jpg

After arriving home I removed the spare and brushed out the contents onto a tarp.

1514719199_spare_gravel.jpg

Jason and Tracey left here today with a plastic bag of our spare wheel concentrates.

1514719218_spare_gold.jpg

He just sent me these photos showing a few specks of gold from the spare wheel, more than we found in Waterfall Gully :)

What we all need then is a trailer with tandem axles and deep tread tyres. Happr new year and may it be full of color.
Cheers Doug

1514779225_20171222_180500_-_copy.jpg

1514779225_20171222_180512.jpg

I've just finished sluicing 4/25 litre buckets of dirt from a known gold area in Linton off Possum rd. A bit disappointing... 15 flecks of gold some of which floated on the water due to water tension, they were that small.. The spot looked promising, the old time diggers had removed a huge area roughly 150m x 50m and some places 3m deep!
The spot I I looked at was an old river bed. You can see the rounded quartz rock in the conglomerate. The whole lot has set rock hard. If you want to try your luck please feel free to contact me.

I found some colours cleaning out the front loader washing machine filter after a season of prospecting, it was mostly really fine all 100-200 mesh fly poop size but what got me was there were around 40-50 specks. There were a few bits around 18-25 mesh at a guess plus some tiny little zircons and bits of ironstone smaller than match heads and also for a laugh $9.80 in loose change, enough to boggle the mind a bit. I had never properly cleaned the filter before, I didn't even know it pulled all the way out like it did until the missus said the machine was giving an error message on the LCD display. No wonder it was giving her trouble, I'll never forget the smell of the trapped water either!

I figured it came from material caught in rolled up jean cuffs and woollen socks while high-banking and digging out some pretty deep holes at the time, the washing machine drum basically becoming a trommel lol.

Latest posts