Gold in Leonora WA.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard70au

Richard
Reaction score
We have been here in Leonora for 3 weeks and had a little play around in the locale area. I was lucky enough to pick up 4 little pieces for a gram, but there are others here doing a whole lot better than I.

A few things I will say about prospecting here in WA, it is at times hard to find a place to prospect with most of the ground being pegged out by the large mining companies. We had some luck and was allowed access to a couple of leases that are held by one of the mining companies and we did manage to pick up a couple of bits.

The people here in the mines department are very helpful and will print maps of available areas for you for a small donation to the Rural Fire Service.

My big rant is that we had a drive out to have a look at the Puzzle Mine and we found a huge pile of rubbish, we also found a lot of rubbish that had been dumped down a old shaft. This is one thing that will get us recreational prospectors kicked out and locked out of lease owners property. There is no need to dump your rubbish, if you have the room to carry it in you have the room to carry it out. I hope that with 3700 odd members in this forum that nobody knows who the culprits might be.

We arrived at the wrong time of the year, it is getting hot and the flies are in mass proportions, but when you are travelling around Australia you can not always be in areas at the prime time.

Here are a couple of pics.
1412057871_scales.jpg

1412057898_trash.jpg

1412057918_trash2.jpg

See it all to often mate....that's why I no longer give away info on locations, too many bad apples who will one day have every land owner off side. Most likely a prospector by the looks of the location, as there's not many tourists who go over there for a swim. :mad: .......Nice nuggets by the way. :eek:

That is just disgraceful. Fair dinkum I would like to meet those buggers.
Good on ya for the nugget finds, well done.

Well done Richard glad you found some nice pieces. It is always fun and games out in the bush. The flies grrrrr they are just menacing. I suppose otherwise it would be perfect !

I think that rubbish is left by locals who have been out and had a good night, not prospectors. The rubbish is purely beer it looks like, why would you take away food scraps and leave just the bottles ? Either way it always amazes me no matter where you go you will find rubbish left by others. Some new some very old but still a tip out there.

All we can do is make sure we take out our own rubbish at the least.

SA does some weird stuff but one thing I have noticed is less bottles thrown out car windows. Only a 10c refund on them but either people keep them in their cars or others will collect from the sides of the road.
I collect rubbish as I detect and take home to dispose of but on the beach I have found countless beer and soft drink can which get thrown in my recycle. Once I have enough cans they go to the recycle and I take the cash home.
Pitty the other states don't follow suit.

I am astounded at the pigs that leave any piece of litter, other than toilet paper, in the bush. Doing a "number 2" would be the only time any person needs to leave their "presence" of any kind, respect that we have a wonderful un littered land compared to other countries. Please keep it that way!

Yup South Australia is a very clean state.NICE.
Along the highway to the border, people throw
cans out of there cars,but we have good council workers.
But shame shame shame.
WA is the opposite with no refund on cans,
the old cars every where are the nungas repair shop.
So glue a whole lot of magnets to you rake
because there are a lot of discarded tin from food cans
from the old miners every where.
1 day WA will have a clean state , 1 day.
O I see Laverton had made some sort of a clean up effort
and good stuff.

pretty disgusting leaving all that rubbish hope someone cleaned it up

Latest posts