Gold fever spreads in Canberra

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I'm Bernie from Canberra. Glad to be here, meet some more people and learn some more.

About me? I'm in my thirties with 3 kids aged 10 and under. One of my kids drives a wheelchair to get around which doesn't handle creeks too well. Just had a great weekend @ Tuena with Colin&Lee - still sore from carrying the boy down the creek and back - the digging and panning might have had something to do with that too ;) I'll have to get a sling for him now that he's 10 and getting heavy.

In true nub (noob) style I learnt a lot that weekend. Including:
- a spare pair of dry shoes are worth killing for. Bring spare shoes next time.
- if you don't use your tent in over a decade it may leak in the rain and it's ropes may disintegrate upon touch and turn into powder.
- if you don't use your inflatable air mattress for 5 years it may have developed an allergy to air and keep spitting it out.
- i should not have trusted my wife's 'yea it will be fine' sleeping bag purchase. That new bag turns out to be fine for tropical islands but I was COLD.
I still had a brilliant time! :D

Colin&Lee have taken me a few places over the last few months, for gold or sapphires, and I'm highly appreciative of them for putting up with me on those long trips.

Enjoying both the search for gold and for stones! I need an appropriate vehicle now and some gear to go with it.

PS: "Don't be a mole, backfill your hole" - that's a great PSA I love it. Where can I buy the bumper sticker version or t-shirt?

Hey Bernie. Welcome to PA. Lots of members down your way. Its great that Colin and Lee are showing you around.
Awesome camping tips too ;)
We will have to suggest to Nugget to have the slogan added to the merchandise.

Cheers

Ramjet

Welcome aboard big fella,

Getting the sling will make difference. You forgot one thing don't let Lee give your kid a big chunk of Tuena Jasper to bash around the house with ;)

Catch up soon ;)

Col

Welcome to the forum Luny. Was great to meet you with Col and Lee on the weekend, and sounds like the camping segment was a bit of a challenge. :eek:

I'm glad you checked out the old camping gear last weekend and not some time in the middle of July when the white powder usually settles on the tent during the night. Hope the forum gives you many hours of informative reading, and having a tour guide in Col & Lee, will certainly speed up that learning curve for you.

All the very best of luck out there in that prospecting paddock mate,

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts