Gold Bars on marketplace in Bathurst.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieChris

Checks in from time to time.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found some soap dodger trying to pass these off as bars melted down from alluvial gold fines.

1637027991_6b1e622f-bd12-4058-b9b4-4cb5a4bf917a.jpg

1637028010_2cd477e5-4416-4ef7-97ba-7c6ca0b14866.jpg

A bit like the eBay bloke a few years back we cornered. Melting down dollar coins.

Hes going for make an offer

Its certainly not gold, colour way off and the weight..

:fistpump: :awful:

when the spot price for gold is $2540 at the present time and his price is $1234 should ring alarm bells and the colour looks like copper/brass or something should also tell anyone that it's not gold and it just :poop: :100:

A 24k gold bar 42mm x 24mm x2mm weighs 1 oz 31.1g.

So with a bit of extrapolation knowing the size and weight of those bars for sale will give you an idea of whether they might be actually gold...They look a bit dodgy tho.

Looks like melted jewellery to me..
Maybe 9k if that.
Photos can change the colour sometimes.
I melted a 18k and a couple of 9k rings and it went the same colour.

Don't be mislead by amateurish talk of the carat (karat) rating of gold, which is really only applicable to the end-product of refineries. Carat rated gold was originally purified to 99.99% bullion (so-called 24 carat gold), and then 'diluted' (primarily with with copper and silver), to produce a specified purity, colour and hardness.

With raw/mined gold (ie. nuggets, crushings, fines), the actual percentage Au is the only meaningful measure of purity. Even the end-product bars from minesite gold rooms are variably impure and these are known as dor bullion:

Dor bar:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doré_bar

.A carat is a unit of weight used to measure the size of a gemstone such as a diamond. A karat is a measurement indicating the proportion of gold in an alloy out of 24 parts, so 18K gold is 18/24 parts gold. However, the use of carat (in place of karat) to indicate the fineness of gold is also considered acceptable.

AussieChris said:
Found some soap dodger trying to pass these off as bars melted down from alluvial gold fines.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...7991_6b1e622f-bd12-4058-b9b4-4cb5a4bf917a.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...8010_2cd477e5-4416-4ef7-97ba-7c6ca0b14866.jpg

A bit like the eBay bloke a few years back we cornered. Melting down dollar coins.

Hes going for make an offer

Its certainly not gold, colour way off and the weight..

:fistpump: :awful:

Pretty hard to tell by the colour mate, this bar was sold to PW Becks in SA.
Looks terrible, got $4k for it @$75 a gram a few months ago.
1637221789_20210915_154951.jpg

1637221790_20210915_154955.jpg

It was 78 grams btw, so that bar was surprisingly 70% gold.
I only paid for gold and silver on the xrf, so not sure what other metals were present, but area was a tin mine in the old days.

A carat is a unit of weight for diamonds and other gemstones. One carat equals 200 milligrams (0.200 grams). There are 453 grams in a pound (1,000 grams to a kilogram). Therefore, if your fiancee weighs 170 pounds, you have a 385,050-carat fiancee!

A karat, when used with gold, is a unit of purity-- 24-karat gold is pure gold, but usually you mix gold with a metal like copper or silver to make jewelry (because pure gold is too soft). Each karat indicates 1/24th of the whole. So if a piece of jewelry is made of metal that is 18 parts gold and 6 parts copper, that is 18-karat gold.

Where did such a funny unit of purity come from? It turns out that a German gold coin called a mark was common about a thousand years ago. It weighed 24 carats (4.8 grams). The purity of the gold in the coin was expressed in the number of carats of gold present in this 24-carat coin.

Pure Gold is bright yellow but gold that is less than 24K can be just about any colour depending on the qty and type of foreign metal mix.

Ever seen Green Gold?

https://www.u7jewelry.com/blogs/jewelry-guide/green-gold-is-it-real

AussieChris said:
Anyway I got hold of an XRF gun and the bloke wont let me test it so there you go.. :rolleyes:
He sold the smaller bar and jacked the price of the bigger one.

He only wants to play in his world, where there's one born every minute.
Good on you for your efforts anyway, Chris. :Y:

]I don't know to be honest, but I think they do.
They gave me a break down of gold and silver, I'll check my reciept and get back.
No, it doesn't say, it just says traces of silver discovered, insufficient to recover.

Latest posts