Gold at A River Ford When the Area Isn't Marked as Gold Bearing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I did a couple of test pans at a river ford and found some nice gold. It isn't shown as having any gold on the Minerals Dept Maps but there was a few lines mentioning gold in an old newspaper on Trove. Best of all its only 9 minutes drive from home.

Just goes to show the value of looking up the National Library Trove database.

What I think is that the ford must act as a natural catch for the river in general and the source just hasn't been found yet.

Redmanti said:
Yesterday I did a couple of test pans at a river ford and found some nice gold. It isn't shown as having any gold on the Minerals Dept Maps but there was a few lines mentioning gold in an old newspaper on Trove. Best of all its only 9 minutes drive from home.

Just goes to show the value of looking up the National Library Trove database.

What I think is that the ford must act as a natural catch for the river in general and the source just hasn't been found yet.

Have to love that...

Arthur

Gotta love that..!

Is there a website for the National Library Troves database?

Cheers,

Trove is a fantastic resource, when looking at stuff in my local area, I found photos of the Lake Proserpine dam wall construction, which showed tear jerking amounts of quarts strikes, but obviously they were dead, otherwise a gold-rush would have occurred.

Trove is great, found a lot of info on my mates old property from there, even had the name of the local butcher who used to cart meat out there to trade for Gold.

Hitting a new area on Saturday.

Rivers been a bit high so I cannot easily get to the main area in the middle of the ford where the best heavies will be. I just pulled the gold from the edges of the ford.
I can leave it for one of those places you don't need to go all day just for 2hours at a time. There are rocks in the middle of the ford and I'll post a photo soon. Lots of heavies at the ford.

P.S I'm in Tas at least for a few more months. I'll map it once i move as I usually do that.

Even the Gorge in Launceston has gold below the chairlifts which I didn't know until recently.

There are a lot of places to go and not enough free time.

Nice work Redmanti,

would you be interested in teaming up next month for a day or two in the N or NE? Have at least two more gents interested from the East Coast?

Cheers
Ron

ron said:
Nice work Redmanti,

would you be interested in teaming up next month for a day or two in the N or NE? Have at least two more gents interested from the East Coast?

Cheers
Ron

Sounds great.

Spent Saturday trying out another location with enormous gumtrees. Lots of ground to cover in Tas.

A group trip sounds great.

Hi Redmanti,

Just a quick few lines about me.

I'm 57, live in Hobart & also have a place at St Helens. Not scared of hard work or getting wet & dirty.

I am just about to finish up working with Hydro/Aurora on June 30, after 30 years, so I will have time to "do stuff" outside weekends.

Have been prospecting for a year.

Have 1 friend that I prospect with here in the south, and have one from Scamander & his mate from Bicheno. Happy to work in with or without these guys due to commitments they may have.

How did you go with the big gums? Are you mainly searching on private or crown land?

If you can PM or Email me your details I can give you a hoi & we can break the ice so to speak (no reflection on the weather).

Cheers. Look forward to your reply.

Sounds good.

Found a river near Mole Creek that was a success as a new spot for a recon trip on Crown Land.

Going to return there a few times chasing the ancient wash layer. Meant to be some chunky gold there I found some but to make it worthwhile you have to dig for it in the right spot.

I''ll email you.

Trees there are something else. Massive compared the to mainland.

Latest posts