Going wireless on SDC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shame about the pricing would have thought they may have included some good headphones.
As most of us have already purchased the adaptor.
Probably should have come with the detector when selling for $3999.
Anyway guess it may an option for new buyers. :)

Question for you Nenad. Have been looking at your Deteknix bluetooth things, the new Pro sonic, your adapter lead, etc.

I would like one thing to connect straight to the SDC and then transmit straight to a set of bluetooth headphones. Get rid of the adapters, transmitters, receivers, plugging headphones into receivers and all that stuff.

Could you make something like - a deteknik transmitter that has an SDC audio connection end that will then pair directly with bluetooth capable headphones?

Bluetooth headphones have volume on them so needing a volume control through the Pro Sonic is eliminated.

The only real issues I see are:
- can you connect an SDC audio conection straight to a transmitter?
- will the transmitter pair with any bluetooth device (bluetooth headphones obviously have receivers in them) or will they only work with pre-paired devices?

Hope you can help ;)

Thanks, Northeast.

If you are looking to run wireless headphones then simplest set-up would be SDC adaptor lead then a Deteknix WireFree Pro headphones. You'd only have one physical connection, transmitter plugging in to adaptor.

I don't like the idea of the transmitter hardwired to the SDC headphone plug as then you can't easily remove the transmitter to charge it.

Cheers

Hi Nenad, Thanks for the prompt reply.

Just had a look at the headphone pro. Issue there is that I hate headphones - bulky and hot. Much prefer the sport style earphones with the over ear hook. They are comfy, light, not hot, let in surround sounds for safety whilst giving good detector sound. Use some Philips ones with the wm12 on the GPZ and they are great.

Could do the exact same thing with the pro sonic but...$400 is just crazy.

I don't understand the issue with the sdc audio plug being straight on the BT transmitter? Couldn't it just unclip and then you recharge it? I am guessing there is a separate mini USB port to plug into for charging?

Do you know if the deteknix transmitter will send to anything other than the deteknix receiver?

Thanks, Northeast.

If you've already got wireless Bluetooth headphones/earphones that you prefer then you'll need to get a low latency (must be low latency) Bluetooth transmitter that has an inbuilt battery that will last your detecting day. The Deteknix wireless is a different proprietary radio frequency that won't work with Bluetooth devices even though they are within the same frequency band - different codecs, drivers etc.

Aha, thanks mbasko. Nenad's adaptor, Bluetooth transmitter and a set of blue tooth earphones. Looks like that's as simple as I'm going to get it.

The earphones I use on the Zed are wired to the wm12 which sits just near my shoulder. The good lady just got some Bluetooth earphones for Christmas so will try them first and if all good will upgrade to the sports type that I like.

On thinking a bit more the idea of the sdc audio connection being joined directly to the transmitter is probably not such a great idea. If the transmitter dies and I get a new one then it's got to get cut, re-joined, etc - not such a good thing.

Nenad might just get an order for an adapter if I sweet talk the lady enough :|

I'm confused Mad Hatter. That link took me to a pro sonic picture. They got released a week ago...how did you get it with your Z???

Please explain Pauline :lol: :lol:

I have got a Bluetooth sender plus a Bluetooth sender receiver coming from ebay total cost $20. I will couple the sender receiver to my shoulder mounted amplifier and twin speakers. Plus sender attached to nenads lead. Only problem I can see is charging each unit running time approx 10 hrs for Bluetooth units.

What latency are they rated at? I haven't seen any low latency units that you need to get for detecting for less than $70-80 so they are cheap if indeed low latency ones.
In my experience the cheap Bluetooth transmitter/receivers that don't specify latency on eBay will have a very noticeable lag or delay which isn't ideal when detecting. Ok for listening to music I guess but no good for audio visual applications like detecting, gaming or watching TV. You usually get what you pay for unfortunately & there's no cheap way around it. I've spent heaps of time & money working that out :lol: Better off buying good ones (Bluetooth or any other wireless RF devices depending on what compatibility etc. you require) right off the bat IMO.
Let us know how they go.

+10 on delay ...................... you will probably find coil has long passed over the target by the time you hear the signal. That's one thing the Deteknix are great for no delay. Cheap rarely gives good results ................. I think the Phase Tech adaptor is a must first then it opens up whatever you wish to marry with it on the SDC :)

These units from ebay claim to be low latency. Time will tell how they perform..Main thing is you can hear signals time delay might make it harder to pin point. But to me its no big deal I use two large plastic shovels to isolate targets.

Bogger, spot on, Nenads lead is a must then go from there. I've found the deteknix kit is the easiest and best way to go, no delay, easy to charge both units, good sound and simple to set up on either SDC or GPX.

With the SDC, if you use Nedads adaptor, do then need to have headphones with adjustable volume control?

Thx

That is my plan eventually Mick64. Nenad's adaptor, Bluetooth transmitter sending direct to a set of Bluetooth headphones that have volume control on them ????

Mick64, the choice of headphones is yours, with or without vol controls. I use Gogs in cooler weather and a good set of ear buds with vol control for times when full phones are a bit hot and uncomfatable.

You can get the complete wireless set up from Nenad at Phase Technical..

Deteknix W60 Pro wireless headphones that have volume control inbuilt....wireless transmitter that pairs to headphones and an SDC adaptor to plug into the SDC. From memory $285 for the Deteknix gear and about $110 for the DSC adapter.

I purchased all this gear and it it works very well on my SDC... delay between detector signal and headcans is less than 0.06 secs...I cant sense the delay.

Headphones are comfy and also keep out wind noise.

If I find this too hot for summer I will probably get the Minleab (new) wireless kit... which is about the same price.

The ONLY reason I moved away from the Koss minleab headphones was because the curly cable is too short...have to take the cans off every time you want to get some space from the detector.

cheers
Mike

I'm not sure about your high end machines but with my little x Terra 705 I bought a Bluetooth Receiver / Transmitter from jaycar which weighs only a few grams (40 x 40 x 8mm)and has a built in battery with about 12hrs run time. Here is the link.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/bluetooth-audio-dongle-with-transmit-and-receive-functions/p/AA2104

I Velcro this on to the module and have the option of using either my little logitech X50 wireless speaker but mostly I connect it to my Turtle Beach PX5 gaming headset (a few years old now) which has Bluetooth built in and they sound great. There's pretty much no lag and is compatible with anything you want to make wireless.

Turtle Beach PX5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Beach-Programmable-Wireless-Headset/dp/B004R9Q1IA

Logitech X50

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/logitech-wireless-speaker-blue-x50-inlx50bl

Cheap simple solution which produces decent sound quality and doesn't break the bank especially if you have a set of gaming headsets lying around.