Giant Nugget Forgotten In a Box

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend that is a retired bank manager. He was telling me about a large nugget that is in the safe of a country bank, apparently it was wrapped in a brown paper bag and has been there for as long as anyone can remember. He was of the impression someone would "claim" it eventually. Probably a lot more in safes and safety deposit boxes around the country, not everyone likes people to know what they have found.

Says 10.7 kilos with a gold content of 8.87 kilos in the story(just to be precise "ha"),.... just goes to show you the honesty and integrity of cricketers in australia(even in the hallways). :D

Sandta said:
I dont think the nugget is the big story here.....
Public servants playing cricket in the hallway ?
?? W.T.F.??
The nugget was in a box and the box was used as the stumps. I'd like to know the full story behind this nugget? It was bought and subsequently lost? Bureaucratic complacency at its finest :mad: it's not like it was some tiddler? It was the tenth largest unearthed in N.S.W. Useless!

mbasko said:
The value may be to do with the rarity. I remember reading somewhere that it, The Maitland Bar Nugget, was the last intact NSW nugget of it's size in existence today?
Yeah, probably good they forgot about it and left it in a box imo. Otherwise it's likely somebody before now may have turned it into ingots and just thrown them in a safe somewhere.
What a great display of a ridgie didge big nugget that will make!

SCROUNGER said:
mbasko said:
The value may be to do with the rarity. I remember reading somewhere that it, The Maitland Bar Nugget, was the last intact NSW nugget of it's size in existence today?
Yeah, probably good they forgot about it and left it in a box imo. Otherwise it's likely somebody before now may have turned it into ingots and just thrown them in a safe somewhere.
What a great display of a ridgie didge big nugget that will make!
Yep it would be a great display! It was found not far from a few of my "stomping grounds" on what is now nearly all private property. Would love to see it come back here to be put on display locally even if just over a few weeks of some of the festivals etc. that we have around Mudgee/Gulgong.
It would look grand in the new Holtermann Museum at Gulgong once it opens up but security would/could be an issue!

Hotrob said:
Bloody HEAVY set of stumps......... would have taken Dennis Lillee at his fasest to knock that over. :)
Rob.
And that's only if he was still hanging onto the ball as it hit. :lol:

Latest posts