Getting Around the Golden Triangle in a Toorak Tractor

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Phil, I also drive a Jeep HaHa, got the Overland with SRT Rims fitted with Perrelli 295/45/ZR20Just to mention that I had a few creek crossings yesterday at Lake Eildon without any problem at all. keep in mind the Overland does have Quad Lift so was able to put the car in the highest drive mode and make the crossing.

I think you will be more than fine with your standard tyres on dirt roads and just keep an eye out while driving on the tracks.

Cheers

Nanjim you are spot on. There are real and there is no so real.

If I ever met the person that sang the jeep ad I would kill him twice. I hate it with a passion and jeeps are on road cars at best. Buy one suffer in your jocks. I am sick of pulling them out of bog holes.

Cant knock the advertising success. Just goes to show what suckers the GP are.

1434971402_jep.jpg

GT

I was always under the impression that Jeeps were for people who just wanted to look like off roaders but after doing a bit of research it appears that Jeeps are ranked more highly by owners than many of the true off roaders are by their owners. Seems that most people that don't like them have never even driven one.

IMO (In my opinion), a lot of the 'big' fourbies these days are built for towing rather than going 'off road'. Just take a look at the latest model landcruiser, it's so wide that it would be pushing to get along a lot of narrower bush tracks. A mate of mine has got the biggest and latest jeep and that's purely for towing a big heavy boat, and it does in in comfort. It's not flash out in rugged stuff though, especially with it's highway tyres.

(Edited to make IMO understandable to internet language abbreviation learners.) :/

What is a real 4x4 anyway ???

I currently have a V8 200 series Landcruiser and it is factory fitted with butter-walled Dunlop racing slicks. I recon, like a Jeep should be, it is twice as fun in the wet as a previous straight 6 diesel 80 series with chunky off road tyres, unfortunately it is also twice as likely to be damaged or bogged at some stage.

I would love a GPZ-7000 but I'll just have to live with the limitations of the ones I can afford. Same story with my 4x4, I would have to sink $10.7k into my cruiser before I would call it a real 4x4.

I'd own a jeep over a horse any day, even though a horse could get me in and out of remote locations more effectively than all 4x4s on the market.

Wally, those 200's are beasts mate. Trouble is i'd be too scared of scratching it out in the scrub if i was fortunate enough to own one. As i said in an earlier post, i think you need to weigh up what you're using your 4x4 for. My 4 x4 i own now will go just about anywhere off road, but it's a noisy box on the highway and not very pleasant to be in on long treks. But that's the trade off i decided to make for getting a bush/fishing truck. Thankfully my wife has a more highway friendly car for commuting around in.

I absolutely love my 'loungechair on wheels'

As for scratches... :8 :8 :8 :8 :8 8.( :8 8.( :8 8.( :8

yesterday I went to the auto shop and I hope I have a solution :rolleyes:

1435033410_image.jpg

Only thing worse is the wife seeing it before I wash the mud off and giving me a serve for pissing buckets of cash down the drain. When the sun catches the sides of the truck she gives me another serve. :eek: But I have fun. :lol: :D :lol:

Yes, biggest mistake i made was buying a dark metallic colour bus and not a white one. The scratches show up real good. Sometimes it's better leaving them dirty :lol: :lol: My son owns a 100 that's been tricked up to the hilt for off road and when we swap fourbies sometimes i can't believe how smooth it is to drive, i call it the limo.

This isn't really what this topic is about so lets not get stuck into which car is better suited for 4WD situations as I sure there be plenty of Prado vs Land Rover people out there with enough argument to last a lifetimeI got my Jeep for one reason only and that is that its a big specious luxury family car and I for one am very happy with it.

If I was going to live in the bush I would probably have chosen differently,I would also think that most people on this forum don't even own a 4WD as prospecting is something that is only occasionally doneI also think that getting stuck in in little mud holes has a lot to do with the driver but the finger gets pointed at the carThis person probably has little or no experience when it comes to off road driving, you simply can't expect someone to jump in a Jeep or any other 4WD and perform miracles.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Fair enough Gravity, but the original post was about whether or not a stock standard jeep would be suitable for the state forests roads/tracks. In most cases they would be and in some areas they probably wouldn't be, and yes, bad and good drivers get bogged no matter what the vehicle. I reckon you might just be surprised how many on this forum do own 4x4 though. Maybe that's a topic for another thread? :p :p :p

I scratched my 4x4 out bush when it was 3 days old, Meguiars Scratch X helped, but, as someone said to me;

"If you gonna buy a car like this and you're worried about doing that to it, Don't buy a car like this......"

Fair point.

Mate of mine in Tassie bought a brand spanking subaru liberty wagon, did three fishing trips up onto the central highlands and sold it within a month. He said he just couldn't bring himself to drive it where he normally went and get it all scratched up it was so nice. Went back to a white 4x4 twin cab :lol: :lol:

Totally agree with you Scrounger I'm sure there are but if you would put it to a pole the majority would probably be your once a month fossicker (If that) and use the family car to get there , most families don't budget on 4by4 cars just to support a hobbyI'd also bet that your average diehard prospector would probably go out a few times a week and be very well prepared in his/hers 4WDBe interesting to see public opinion on tyres.

Yeah, you're probably correct there. I'm only new to prospecting but have always driven 4x4s, so for me it's just normal to own one. I'm always tossing up between tyres trying to get the best kms on bitumen and at the same time not sacrifice too much grip off road. I'm too tight and too lazy to run two sets of tyres. We could start a new thread but as you say it's likely to turn into a mine's bigger than yours thread :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

condor22 said:
A real 4x4 = Toyota FJ Cruiser..... :)

Condor - I almost got the Cruiser, but my wife and the other 95% of my life won out and I got the Jeep, very comfortable on the road or in a bog hole, not that I've got it bogged yet.

Try not to do that Filthy, it's not pleasant in any vehicle, just more comfortable while you're stuck there :lol:

Latest posts