Gemray Test.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Testing to display a design calculated in GemCad and Gemray before being cut.

output_HkZcDz_zpsjjcvm5ha.gif

steve.rsa said:
Pretty, how long does that ray tracing take?

The program is devoted to gem stones but generates about 60 frames in about 3 or 4 seconds. Just a tool to find out if a design that has been done in another program, GemCad, will work or not and how bright it will be. That brightness was fairly average but I was trying for colour. Can't have your cake and eat it.
Very clever though.

Can anyone do a spherical type cut with useful facets that will make the suns rays continuously laze out of a stone at a 45 degree angle/tangent in a true beam ?
Genuine question ,.. (mind you I've had one or two already) straight from subconscious !. :|

Very nice. I see you have included a degree of dispersion into the calculation. What material is it calculated for?

Also how did you manage to capture the moving display? I can't seem to work it out.

silver said:
Can anyone do a spherical type cut with useful facets that will make the suns rays continuously laze out of a stone at a 45 degree angle/tangent in a true beam ?
Genuine question ,.. (mind you I've had one or two already) straight from subconscious !. :|

This is the best I can find, although not a ring. But you will never be pestered by super heroes again. ;)

1463741865_kryptonite_necklace_by_kikimj-d47kat7.gif

Fortunately I have some good rough found just outside Wycliffe Well in Territory. The image is a bit under exposed so you can see the colour.
1463825196_krptonite.jpg

Nice bit of a program there magoo, wish I could check it out. Always nice when a render takes seconds unlike the 1990s weeks for a few frames..

I've seen a few eyeball, horse head and animal cuts before silver, its very similar to 3d modelling

Oh noe ..the kryptonite lol

Looking great fellas ! 8) :p
I just always imagined that as the sun is sperical, that to pull the light back into a beam you would need to involve maths with a modified sphere (dependant on the crystal types refractability ), not quite the thing you would have aimed for with normal optics, or even astronomy, only the sort of thing made possible by a group of enthusiastic inventively creative gemcutterologists, would make for a new fuel source availability over distance, be good for getting light ( and heat) to where you want it to be( just a thought ). :D
Putting it out there.

silver said:
Looking great fellas ! 8) :p
I just always imagined that as the sun is sperical, that to pull the light back into a beam you would need to involve maths with a modified sphere (dependant on the crystal types refractability ), not quite the thing you would have aimed for with normal optics, or even astronomy, only the sort of thing made possible by a group of enthusiastic inventively creative gemcutterologists, would make for a new fuel source availability over distance, be good for getting light ( and heat) to where you want it to be( just a thought ). :D
Putting it out there.

I guess, ultimately you have described a lens. Thinking magnifying glass and starting a flame. Or a mirror either way you think of it, it's all curves.

1463869593_powerstation.jpg

But, I'm after the bit that goes in the top of the above photo that makes the focal point laze concentrated sunlight in a continuous beam. ;)
Imagine that into being.
It may even have to be some sort of magnetic beam control for all I know, but nothing ever happens until the words are spoken. :|

Latest posts