Geminid meteor shower

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

HERE COME THE GEMINIDS: Earth is entering a stream of debris from rock comet 3200 Phaethon, source of the annual Geminid meteor shower. Forecasters expect the shower to peak on Dec. 13-14 with as many as 120 meteors per hour. Lunar interference will be a problem, as glare from the nearly-full Moon reduces the number of visible meteors 2- to 5-fold. The shower is centred near the bright star Castor, which rises in the north-east around 11pm and is visible until dawn. Not to far below orions belt is a good place to focus.

Should I set up a net to catch some! :D Seriously, it will be good to watch, in the past some meteor showers seem to have occurred in the ungodly wee hours of the morning, hopefully this will happen at a decent hour. Might have to get away from the city to get a decent view without all the light issues.

i for one will be up in front of the fire with a bourbon in hand
waiting to spot one
but if its to late and i have too many bourbons i won;t see crap
because everything will look like a shooting star :cool:

what more can a man want on a Friday night, spit roast lamb, fire, drinks and a light show
thank Balx for bringing this to my attention

Goldpick said:
Should I set up a net to catch some! :D Seriously, it will be good to watch, in the past some meteor showers seem to have occurred in the ungodly wee hours of the morning, hopefully this will happen at a decent hour. Might have to get away from the city to get a decent view without all the light issues.
Later the better moon is pretty bright but sets around 3am.

XIV said:
i for one will be up in front of the fire with a bourbon in hand
waiting to spot one
but if its to late and i have too many bourbons i won;t see crap
because everything will look like a shooting star :cool:

what more can a man want on a Friday night, spit roast lamb, fire, drinks and a light show
thank Balx for bringing this to my attention
Fingers crossed for some clear sky. Friday Saturday sunday should be all good.

Don't you folk remember 'The Day of the Triffids'!!! and the meteorite shower???

loamer said:
Don't you folk remember 'The Day of the Triffids'!!! and the meteorite shower???
I read that book many years ago as a kid. I read it cover to cover ad just couldnt put it down. A great book.

Goldpick said:
Should I set up a net to catch some! :D .

Hell yeah why not. My kids and I do :eek:
All you do is get a big ice cream container and tape a magnet to the underside of it and put it somewhere out in the open. Its amazing at what you find in the morning ;)

Thanks for the post, had a look from 11pm to 12 pm, saw a few bright ones and a number of faint ones, not bad seeing we are looking out over the Brisbane lights and with a bright moon.
Will set the alarm for 3 am today if that's when the moon sets.

This would be a great regular topic as it's good to know these thing especially if you are camping out.

Looks like the shower will be peaking by midnight tonight, 100 per hour being reported, I wish sunset would hurry up.

Wasn't this last night / early this morning? I think we may have missed the boat on this one Balx :(

Nugget said:
Wasn't this last night / early this morning? I think we may have missed the boat on this one Balx :(
Nope, it runs right thru to the 16th, check the space weather link above mate.

Latest posts