Gday from South Easy Gippsland.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI All,
I have been reading the forum for some time now and decided to sign up.
I have been panning and detecting for some time with very little success.
I was detecting earlier this week near an old mine in Walhalla and was just running the detector as my mate and I were walking down the old road to the mine.
All of a sudden my Goldmonster went troppo making noises I had never heard before and actually reset.
After a reset I tried it again a bit slower and the Right gold bar indicator we bouncing so hard I thought it might break the LCD.
A Digging I go. You would think this road was made from reinforced concrete it was that hard. I was using a pick, crowbar, hammer & chisel to get the digging done.
Every handful of burden I strangled from my hole got passed over the detector as you do.

An hour later a solid object began to rise from the dig as I loosened the stone around it. Get the Gold Monster out. Yep still going nuts.
I had a good look thinking it may have been some sort of conglomerate. I chipped at it with my Geo pick hammer then noticed shiney marks where I did.
BLOODY HELL!!! the penny dropped it was some sort of lead pipe. 8.( At this stage I was both amused and annoyed. I pulled the pin and called it a day.
Was still a fun day outdoors and I enjoyed every bit of it.
Glad to be here See ya in the soup ;)

Hello & welcome.
I did laugh at the lead pipe .. sadly I know this build up & let down only too well :lol:
Have a great, safe & joyful Christmas!

Hello and welcome gelignite. Im a fellow gippslander. I took the kids to walhalla t last month and went on the long tunnel mine tour. Very interesting. Had a little pan in a feeder creek whilst there. Couple of specs nothing great. Always looking for someone to have a dig with if you keen one day

Thanks for all the great responses.
I spent 20 years mining in WA. Alot of it in Gold and a lot around Kalgoorlie Goldfields.
Falling in old diggings is not that uncommon there however its usually Dirt bike riders. :D

bumdags said:
Hello and welcome gelignite. Im a fellow gippslander. I took the kids to walhalla t last month and went on the long tunnel mine tour. Very interesting. Had a little pan in a feeder creek whilst there. Couple of specs nothing great. Always looking for someone to have a dig with if you keen one day
Might well take you up on that some day soon. I'll keep you in mind :Y:

Welcome gelignite. Hopefully you can pick up some good info on the forum and turn your luck around!

Benj308 said:
Welcome gelignite. Hopefully you can pick up some good info on the forum and turn your luck around!
Thanks Benj. For me it all about getting there to have a look. To quote Buddha I think. "It's all about the Journey, Not the destination" :D
I'm happy as Larry being out in the bush scratching in the dirt. Its all win win for me regardless of what you find...

Welcome aboard Gelignite. That's the spirit mate, junk or gold I'll take it all. It's just great fun getting into the great outdoors and swinging & digging :Y:

Latest posts