G'day from another newbie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few days ago I had little interest in prospecting apart from being curious and wanting to meet an experienced prospector with interesting tales to tell. Then a bloke from the Grey Nomads forum read a post of mine about my current medical situation and offered to take me prospecting when I finally get on the road. I was excited about that prospect (no pun intended) and said so. So then he decided I needed a good luck charm and sent me a genuine nugget he found in WA. That blew me away! A real nugget! I'd never seen one before. The deal is I gotta keep it with me during my operation and subsequent recovery. He reckons it's lucky because there was a brown snake skin alongside it when he found it. He didn't notice the snake skin at first, and when he did, he jumped 6' into the air. There must be something about that nugget that attracts brownies. The other day, I was at Lighthouse Beach (near Port Macquarie) taking photos when two young girls warned me about a brown snake that had just slithered into a grassy patch of sand behind me. Oops!

Anyway, the bloke included a prospecting magazine with the nugget to "whet my appetite" and it did. I read all the articles and became fascinated. And here I am on the prospecting forum hoping to learn a thing or two from your posts. BTW, that blank avatar looks better than I do which is a bit of a worry. 8)

Hi Gary.Welcome to our forum. Aren't you in for a treat. We have a ball here exchanging knowledge and viewpoints. It's nearly a "mens' shed" for fossickers. We all love it and i'm sure you will too.

Welcome to the forum Garry. There's a lot of reading on a lot of different subjects out there, but reading about the life of a prospector gives not just enjoyment, but also inspiration and an awe into what mother nature has to offer. Life long friendships can and do get forged as you have already experienced.

I'm sure the prospecting magazine you were given and the steps you have taken to join this forum will prove valuable in many ways. Much to be gained from the info here and look forward to sharing your new adventure.

Cheers Wal.

Nundle (which means place of the Brown Snake) is a favourite haunt for prospecting australia forum members. We are all very familiar with the art of jumping before we thought about it. I got bitten by a bigger black snake a while ago whilst i was catching bass on the macleay river near Kempsey with my brother. Don't worry, it was a friendly bite. He decided i didnt need to be sick and it would have been too bad so sad anyway as the road into where i was was a goat track and the trusty canoe had got me the last few km. Welcome to the forum. Hope you get better soon. Keeping the fitness level up helps alot. prospecting is awesome for that.

All the very best and a good recovery from a couple of grey nomads. We returned last week from over 3 months in goldfields in fairly remote areas of NT and Queensland, met a lot of grey nomads, all enjoying the fantastic lifestyle on the road even though some had serious health issues. It's an opportunity to meet new friends, find gold and enjoy great winter weather.

Thanks a bunch for the responses peoples. Taree is Aboriginal for the local fig, Stu. But in all the 13 years I've lived in Taree I've never been bitten by a fig. Just lucky I guess. However, the treads of my mountain bike tyres haven't been so fortunate.

Meanwhile, I'm learning a thing or two on this forum about "colour" so hopefully when I hit the road I'll have as much fun looking for it as everyone else.

Latest posts