G'Day Aussie Prospectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new. New to a lot of things, but mainly new(ish) to this glorious country, new to waking up in quarries, digging holes, swinging a detector, the prospectors dictionary and of course, new to this forum.
My name's Angenita, but I have been called Piep (Eng pronounciation: peep) since birth. It means small in colloquial Dutch. I'm not that small anymore, but I prefer it over the Aussie short cut 'Ange'.

I am Dutch and moved to Australia with the mr. almost 3 years ago. We've been moved around a bit by his employer and lived in various subs west of Sydney (I know where 'Sunnyvale' is, and more importantly, survived it!) and Newcastle. We now live just north of Brisbane on the Redcliffe Peninsula and it appears we are staying here. There are no current plans to move us around, thank heavens.

A little while ago I was walking my dog on the beach here when the tide was well out. There was a bloke regularly picking things from the exposed rocky seabed. I watched for a while and asked what he was picking up. He had a lovely, very thick Aussie twang so to this day I have no idea what he actually said, but he showed me some transparent(ish), light yellow to orange stones. I have found a few myself since. Turns out to be carnelian. Just sitting there, right at the end of my street! I am hooked.

Last weekend I bought some pans and sieves and loaded up the Patrol and drove off west. Didn't find a thing but spiders and one of those mega-millipedes, but any excuse to get out there is good. I find I sleep very well under a bit of canvas and a starlit sky.

Anyways, been reading loads, am absorbing and processing as fast as my brain will allow and really enjoying all your stories and pictures. Hoping to make a few friends to go specking, prospecting or fossicking with.

Hi Piep, and welcome to the forum! As you've seen, there's plenty of info to absorb about this great hobby of ours, don't be afraid to post up any questions. :)

Latest posts