Gas Cookers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
meh, i used to run my still on one of these, an have been using it for years, never had a problem.
Its probably more to do with crappy gas cylinders than the actual cooker itself.

Having said that i always buy the cheaper ones,LOL#cheapass#hopidontblowmyshitup.................................

I think it could be political proper gander. The gas companies are probably losing money!
Does this mean that all items that are run on butane cans are a risk?

noncents said:
Just saw this video on the dangers it seems that that the cans can explode (my Japanses isn't great)
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IpNnPdMCIg[/video]
Inconclusive - The gas cartridge was covered, the cartridge could have been tampered with for the video.
In fact I can 100% guarantee that the cartridge was tampered with for that video.
I still believe it is proper gander. :eek:

I own an Auscrown and its on the banned list as well.

I wonder how this design can be changed and made safe.

We have "blow shit up" nights while camped on the banks of the Murray River where we dig a hole in the sand on a beach away from the camp site and fill the hole with 20 shovels full of red hot coals from the main fire, then place a full butane can nozzle down and lean it slightly towards the camp site direction.
It takes about 90secs for the can to blow which is a long time in that heat, the explosion empties the hole and spreads the coals in about a 30 meter radius then it takes about 20-30 seconds for the can to come back to earth and land in the camp site.

The point of the story is NOT to encourage anyone to play stupid games like this, but the fact that it requires a lot of heat to blow a can of butane up, the results are not pretty unless it's in a clearing on a beach and looks like a miniature version of an atom bomb, I think the purpose of the butane burner was to heat up kettles and small fry pans etc. but I've seen people use large pans or plates that overhang the entire burner, the area over the bottle holder gets heated up to a point where it causes great expansion from liquid to vapour in the butane can itself, the weakest point in the chain is where the nozzle engages the burner and the rest is history.

If both the burner and can are used correctly with the right sized pot, pan, plate etc. there should be no problem at all as the correct amount of ventilation will reduce heat build-up over the butane can.

As these little cookers don't work real well in the cold' many times we have left the can door open adding a little heat to prevent the can from icing up.
As Pete explains it takes a fair bit to blow the can I'd be more concerned with gas leaking from the cooker whilst cooking' Flame grilling the snags and eyebrows....

yeah like Pete says , it has more to do with idiots putting pans over the gas can compartment and overheating the can than to do with the cooker itself , have had them for years and they have not had a single problem when used properly .

Of course the people complaining to fair trading are never gonna admit that it was their fault for being stupid , and not the cookers.

Ryan27 said:
noncents said:
Just saw this video on the dangers it seems that that the cans can explode (my Japanses isn't great)
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IpNnPdMCIg[/video]
Inconclusive - The gas cartridge was covered, the cartridge could have been tampered with for the video.
In fact I can 100% guarantee that the cartridge was tampered with for that video.
I still believe it is proper gander. :eek:

I don't reckon it was tampered with ..... just dont cover the entire stove!! use an appropriately sized cooking vessel ie don't go beyond to ends of the pot supports and it's cool cool and the gas canister will be too! and that hints at the main problem ie reflected heat from oversized cooking vessels! etc.... hands up who has seen a barbeque plate on 1 stove or set across 2 stoves

casper

Mods... there are 3 threads on this topic maybe timely to combine them.

casper

always do the sniff test when connecting the cylinder and don't put oversized cooking gear on the burner = no worries ;)

Mine is the 1st thing packed on any trip. I'd have to agree with some earlier posts, the al'cheapo ones hitting the market are most likely causing the problem.

Dam it !!! Why why why did I have to read this , I could have just ignored this thread and my little trusty burners would be packed for every trip while I was blissfully unaware they could blow the crap outa me :( . Now I will look at them differently , like little jihadist just waiting for the day when im on to good gold and then they unleash their destruction while im having a well earnt cuppa.
Might have to dust of my old ET mini bbq and 4.5kg bottle now.

ProspectorPete said:
We have "blow shite up" nights while camped on the banks of the Murray River where we dig a hole in the sand on a beach away from the camp site and fill the hole with 20 shovels full of red hot coals from the main fire, then place a full butane can nozzle down and lean it slightly towards the camp site direction.
It takes about 90secs for the can to blow which is a long time in that heat, the explosion empties the hole and spreads the coals in about a 30 meter radius then it takes about 20-30 seconds for the can to come back to earth and land in the camp

This completely smashed, your credibility regarding safety in this thread LOL
:)

Latest posts