Garrett ATX vs Minelab SDC2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys I watch this vid twice and he says the sdc2300 found more than the Atx but was arguing whether the extra 15% the sdc found was worth the extra $2k to buy

he found all the nuggets with a AT Gold (not familiar with that name )

Looks like he's using dredged nuggets. Bit flat pieces, and the SDC still does well. Do it again with some rougher nuggets.
One very important thing I took out of that, and I'm quite surprised he actually said it: Unlike the TDI and ATX, the Minelab doesn't lose as much depth in mineralised soil.
I think that about sums it up - removing the ground signal without sacrificing depth is why Minelab gold detectors are so effective.

On a US forum he has posted a conclusion after part 8:
Bearkat said:
"Do I dislike the SDC 2300 any more now that I see a hole? No way! A fantastic machine and as Steve correctly said, the ATX looses sensitivity and depth when the ground gets hotter, where the SDC 2300 does better in this dirt and retains more of its sensitivity."
"For those interested, here is the 8 part series with the last video of the series doing a Pro's and Con's video discussing both the good and bad of each http://youtube.com/#/playlist?list=PLfjOj2OMqlSS9tvqHJl9xI88xwOIeMNZ8
Including discussing the dreaded ATX 8" mono coil noise!"
"But I will say it here, like I did in my videos, the new Minelab SDC 2300 is my favorite Minelab detector they have ever built!
My wallet, however, does not have the same feelings..."
It appears price is his biggest issue & that is reasonable in the US considering price difference but in Australia I know what my money would be on when comparing cost regardless of the ability to change coils! The SDC is a clear winner for our conditions & although in the higher end of the mid priced range is way ahead of the competition so in my opinion its extra money well spent. As an example there is another thread on the same forum where testing specimen gold found with the SDC on a TDI it fails to register at all.

I like the way Mr MashDetectors.com (Bearkat4160) waves airily at an ATX fitted with a non-standard 8" mono coil and says it costs "twenty-one hundred dollars" (US), compared to the $US3750 for the SDC. From his own website, $US2120 only buys an ATX with the standard 10 x 12 double D coil - the 8" mono is an expensive extra (and not even priced on his website!).

Also the ATX weighs ALOT more(2.3kg (5.1lbs) to3.13 kgs.(6.9 lbs.) and after a few hours swinging heck an hour your arm will feel it. but yeah i found it funny he showed exactly what the sdc missed but not what the ATX missed. Its at the top of my wish list, but the $us4000 price tag with tax is a tough one.

Ok, as above, I might be able to buy a decent detector, and I've been out with a mate who has a sdc2300. I used it, and within 10 mins had found a .4 grammer! It's a beautiful machine. Now I'm trying to decide between that and a garret atx deep seeker package. I will be buying 2nd hand, and I'd value experienced people's input into which would be the better detector. I'm in Bendigo and will use it mostly here and surrounding areas.

Cheers, Paul.

P.s. Im choosing between these two because I go to the beach and other water areas and I want the waterproof feature.

Hi Everyone, I'm looking to buy a detector, can't afford much, looking at prospecting for gold, relic hunting etc. doesn't really do it for me, tossing up between a Minelab eureka gold and a exterra 705, advice please from the professionals?? regards Wayne(Ned)

Thankyou very much for your input wonderful people, I was favoring the sdc, and looks like I'll go that way!

Cheers, Paul.

I have recently been considering upgrading my detector from an old Whites Coinmaster to a new PI detector. My two preferred options which are controlled by budget of course are the Garrett ATX and the minelab SDC2300. I prospect in areas that can be heavily mineralised(ironstone), I was wondering if any members have used both units in the same condition and could comment on the performance of these machines ie. size of targets found and depths at which they were found would be very helpful. If there are other units for around the same price I would be be very thankful for suggestions and advice.
Thanks.

hi amature007
my vote would be for the minelab, the reasons being that minelab are the proven detectors in australia. I you troll through all the forums on prospecting here you will note that there are more happier sdc owners than atx owners, before I bought my gpx I realy looked at the atx, but after reading others reviews and watching vidios on the atx I figured it was the same as the garrat infinium only in a different case, and I already owned one of those and I figured that If I bought an atx I would be dissapionted and wished I had bought the minelab in th first place.

chers mandrake

If you want to find gold get the Minelab.

If are looking for value buy anything else other than Minelab.

I bought the SDC and find small amounts of gold every time I get out now.

Minelab have pretty good warranty, service and second hand resale value.

Do you want to save money or find gold? Answer that and you will know which to buy!

Hope this helps

RS

Hey Amature007
I have an SDC2300 & SD2200d, both have found me good "Gold" I have seen the ATX in action for a short period, not impressed, I would go the SDC however I would add another choice to your list & that would be a 2nd hand GPX4500 as this is a proven unit that gives you versatility that the others do not, the SDC only has 1 coil, ATX has a couple of coils but they are expensive, GPX can take coils from 6" to 24" plus mono's & DD's, you can get these for $3000 to $4000
cheers
Lee

Latest posts