Garrett ATX vs Minelab GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks Nugget Buster. I've been through a lot of the posts but am looking for a refresh of the opinions from users of both within the last 6-12months. There are new coils out there etc. you make a great point on the resale value however there are a few 5000s on the market and no ATX machines...?

sorry I forgot to say that I eill be detecting for natural gold not relics or rings and definitely not on a beach...

That's exactly the type of info I've been looking for - hands on recent experience. Many thanks Gary

Steve V2.0 said:
however there are a few 5000s on the market and no ATX machines...?

True...but I think that might just be a reflection of how many GPX units are bought new and are out there compared to ATX's (just like there are more used Toyota Hiluxe Utes on the market at any one time than there are Great Wall Utes... And some owners might love their Great Wall, but I think its safe to say that in an unbiased review, the Hilux is clearly superior).

Maybe? :)

It's overwhelming in favour of the 5000 your comments are very useful and really appreciate your help and info.

What I have noticed is that the Evolution coils are getting a good run. Anyone think I should get one with the new 5000?

As for UTEs I've just got a new BT-50 and truly happy with it!

Good choice . Where are you getting it from by the way .. Central West Prospecting is always good for fantastic deals . Current bundle deal is $5350 , free training and postage.

I'm local in Melbourne but just bought a place in Malmsbury Vic so looking to Miners Den.... thoughts?

I've got an ATX the first one sold in TNQ at a somewhat better price than what they are today, it is very good at detecting gold and other metals on both our dry and wet gold fields.
Got a pritty little piece on sandys gold field one day, just a few gram send it to my friend in WA, it had a stone attached not quartz or ironstone but a blue topas, which is the birthstone for November.
It was claimed quick time by my friends wife which happens to have birthday in November and it fitted her finger just perfect.
Incidently my mate use both GPX5000 and a GPZ7000.

To me the best detector is the one that suits your area and need for the job at hand.

Hey if I can jump in as I'm thinking of a new 4500 at some stage late this or early next year.

Are the coils that come with the GPX range no good?

Most people seem to be buying other coils????

Are we talking stability and depth???

At $3500 the GPX4500 seems like a steal but If I have to add another coil or several more it adds up.

I currently have the SDC so will never get rid of that but looking to supplement the stable!

I m looking for opinions not a clear cut right or wrong answer. I value opinions over who is right and wrong based on real world experience, not technical fact sheets!

Cheers

RS

Latest posts