G, day from Calliope.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie to prospecting. I live at Calliope Qld and am wondering if anyone is interested in taking the time to help me get started detecting and prospecting. I have just bought a minelab 705 to play with.

The 705 will get you interested, but start looking at some better tools. Pans and highbanker will get you into "gold validation"....it really does exist.!!!

Nugget finding with a detector seems to occur more regularly with serious gold detectors, so be prepared to upgrade!

Peter

Welcome aboard Downunder Digger.

You've got yourself a great machine there and I know a few of the guys are quite happy with them. Sure it may not compete with the more "serious" detectors on the market, but to buy one you really need to be able to justify the $5000+ outlay. Hopefully the 705 will find you a few beauties that could go towards an upgrade later on down the track, but for now, get out there and enjoy yourself.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best of luck.
Nugget

They used to find gold right there at Calliope. Ask all the old timers around there, or visit the retirement homes even, loads of info for a cuppa and chinwag...

Welcome to the forum D Digger. This is a great place to be a member if you're new to the game as advice will flow freely if you ask the questions. Best of luck with the hobby and look forward to sharing the experience.

Cheers Wal.

Welcome down under, you will certaining learn a lot here, check out as many you tube clips you can about your detector it helps a bit.

Read your manual like 3 times then read it again!

Most of all get out there and learn what the machine can do, it takes time and many hours swinging!

Of course with detectors you get what you pay for! Start low and get a feel for the hobby, upgrade to the best detector you can, whenever you can, if it's a hobby you want to pursue and have the hours free to use it!

Cheers and good luck

Sorry Downunder if I sounded down on the 705, it is a good detector. I've got the older model so beggers cant be choosers. Hope you find some good gold!

Peter

Heya - am in Gladstone and just do coin and relic shooting, but if you want to tag along to a beach or park with that and have a feel for how it works your more than welcome to join me. I wander around them on Tuesday and Wednesdays.

You are right, there was gold at Calliope, I checked with the camping store on Breslin (not BCF) and they confirm people wander in and buy geo picks and tools fro mthem but no one hints where they are going exactly in that area. My old man recalls gold during the expansion dam building process at Awonga but now the dam is built, its changed a lot of the landscape. I have some info that if you go behind the dam and follow the river that feeds in, there are still some possible traces to be found. Same too if you go up the calliope river but am unsure how true that one is.

Drop me a line here if you feel the need to join in.

Cheers

Welcome Downunder Digger, good luck in your search. You've definately come to the right place for advice and information.

Latest posts