Funny places to find gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldrocs

Dave
Reaction score
I'll start this one off
In 2005 I was deployed to Vic with the RFS to fight the fires in bright and the only
place to get water was to draft out of one of the creeks not far from the fire ground
we did this for a few days,the pump has a wine glass strainer system that stops rocks
reaching the pump,on cleaning the system we discover we had pickup a little nugget of
0.7g maybe you could call that dredging.......
Cheers GR.........

When I first built my sluice I was practicing in my back yard using a inground fish pond for a water supply, mmm I said where can I get some material to run through it ...I know - there is a back lane behind my house that is just formed up from the mainly sedimentary and conglomerate country around here, so one gets a couple of bucket loads and lo and behold after cleanout/panning I find a couple of specs , not really worth it to go hell for leather but you never know....

G'Day All

This is not my story but worth the telling. A friend of mine was out prospecting on the Ovens with her husband. She got bored and went back to the car. While sitting there with the car door open a mangy cat comes wandering up. It jumps into the seat well where she was sitting and started to paw her jeans. It eventually jumped out and wandered off. She thought nothing of it until her husband came back and he said "what is all that on the bottom of your jeans?" They looked more closely and saw that the bottom of her jeans had fine gold all over where the cat was pawing. Neadless to say they spent many hours trying to find the cat or where it had been digging. Her husband went back to the area many times and never did find the cat's stash.

Araluen

Hay Guys,
My Mum once lived at Wattle Flat and she often tells the story of when she was about 9 yo being out with her uncle sitting on a log looking at the ground kicking the dirt and uncovered a nugget. From what I can ascertain from her description it was between 3 and 5 grams.
Unfortunately the uncle claimed it. :(

I was scratchin around in Sailors Creek last year, digging a couple of pan loads from the base of bank.
I was panning that lot off in a pool in front of the bank, when another big clod of dirt fell away and exposed half of an old bottle.
The bottle was laying horizontally in the sediment near the top of where the dirt fell away, with it's opening facing up stream. I remember thinking, that's interesting, and full of dirt and clay too.
Anyway, I rescued the bottom half of the bottle, washed it out, broke up the clay and panned it off.
Got 2 coarse little pickers of maybe 1/2 a match head each.
Never did find any more in the soil around it though.
Just for the bottlos amongst you, it was clear glass, with 6 flat side above the round base. I'm no expert, but I've seen a few old bottles in my time, and I'm guessing it might have been 60 or 70 years old.
Now,,,, I wonder if I can find some more bottles.

Cheers, Ron.

Two stories I know of, Firstly my father was a timber cutter for the forestry many years ago and another timber cutter told him of a small nugget found buy a log inspector. To cut a long story short an inspector was checking the numbers on the end of the logs at the sawmill and came across a small nugget, using those numbers he found the stump were the log came from but no more gold was found.
The second story. I was about 16-17 at the time and mum and dad and us kids were living in a rented house out of town on a 1000 acre cattle property. Mum gave her brother a chook which he killed for tea. While cleaning out the crop he found a small nugget.
I just got my second detector so when I was told of this, the brother and I got the idea of catching mums chooks and running the detector over them. Now chooks eat anything (metal, ironstone rocks ect) so with no discrimination mode on the detector, it would have been curtains for any chook that beeped but mum was on to us so it didn't happen. Would like to go back out there now with the detector.
:) Mick

axeman said:
Two stories I know of, Firstly my father was a timber cutter for the forestry many years ago and another timber cutter told him of a small nugget found buy a log inspector. To cut a long story short an inspector was checking the numbers on the end of the logs at the sawmill and came across a small nugget, using those numbers he found the stump were the log came from but no more gold was found.
The second story. I was about 16-17 at the time and mum and dad and us kids were living in a rented house out of town on a 1000 acre cattle property. Mum gave her brother a chook which he killed for tea. While cleaning out the crop he found a small nugget.
I just got my second detector so when I was told of this, the brother and I got the idea of catching mums chooks and running the detector over them. Now chooks eat anything (metal, ironstone rocks ect) so with no discrimination mode on the detector, it would have been curtains for any chook that beeped but mum was on to us so it didn't happen. Would like to go back out there now with the detector.

I heard a similar story about someone cleaning out some ducks he shot. One or two had few specks/flakes in the gizzard.
Since ducks are known to ingest gravel to help them digest food, I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibilities.
Now,,,,,, where's that dam shotgun,,,

Hope this is not too small to read.
We were swimming in the reservoir mentioned last sat when it was 41C.

1392074276_nug.jpg

axeman said:
Redfin said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/232/1392074276_nug.jpg
Now that's cool :D
There's a member on here that's looking into doing some searching in a dam, this should inspire him.

Don't want to go too far off topic, but would dams tend to gather a lot of silt and other deposits? (ie. depth of material)
If this topic (dam exploration) is discussed in another thread, please point me towards it :)

Cheers,
Dave E :cool:

daveggs said:
axeman said:
Redfin said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/232/1392074276_nug.jpg
There's a member on here that's looking into doing some searching in a dam, this should inspire him.

Don't want to go too far off topic, but would dams tend to gather a lot of silt and other deposits? (ie. depth of material)
If this topic (dam exploration) is discussed in another thread, please point me towards it :)

Cheers,
Dave E :cool:

PS. Wish I had a story like one of the fab ones you guys have shared here so far (but I don't yet). Best I know of, is that one of my great (great?) uncles living in Wedderburn, VIC. sank a shaft in his back yard with a horizontal running off it. My grandma used to regularly wear a nugget pendant (15 gram +/-) that he dug out of his backyard hobby-mine :)

axeman said:
Redfin said:

DON'T DO IT,, it'll drive ya nuts.

I tried it once,, Bits of old lures, swivels, fish hooks, some with line attached, sinkers, ring pulls, cans, bottle tops, broken glass and all the other rubbish washed in from the catchment area.

If you're really lucky, you might find some coins lost by swimmers, but you're gunna work for them.
I did one over near Beaufort, and after 2 hours, I had about $3.00 in coins, a bucket of crap and more mud than you could poke a stick at. I guess I did salvage a few sinkers for future fishing trips.

I hope the guy gives it a go. I'd really love to hear what he finds.

Cheers, Ron.

Latest posts