Fuel problem

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I have a problem with my 2008 Holden Colorado 4x4.Its a 3ltr td with 265000 ks.
The problem Im having is its using a lot of fuel. Only getting 300 ks to a 76 ltr tank.
It does not blow any smoke and no loss of power. The only thing it is doing from time to time is hunting I think they call it and then stalling.
Any information much appreciate

Yep try avoid injector pump work , it could cost 1/4 of the vehicles value.
Could be a computer mapping issue , so worth getting it hooked to a diagnostic machine,
Very likely the injectors are to blame or the pump.
Maybe you need lighter footwear. :playful:

I don't know whether I'm doing the right thing-by putting in an injector cleaner in with each fill up. The Pathy runs a useable 80ltr. petrol tank and then on LPG till i fill again.
I get total of about 750k's out of that setup.
Does that cleaner really do anything.

These days, even a faulty coolant sensor can tell the ecu/pcm the motor is stone cold, and adjust the mixture accordingly.
This has nothing to do with the temp gauge on dash.
Stuck egr's . Stuck turbo acuactator, failed diaphragm on turbo.

No wasting your time with injector cleaner
Jaros said:
I don't know whether I'm doing the right thing-by putting in an injector cleaner in with each fill up. The Pathy runs a useable 80ltr. petrol tank and then on LPG till i fill again.

Dosent hurt to jack each wheel up and check for drag friction. Are they direct injection, or port injection?
Fitting a catch can in my books is the go.
Youtube has some good vids on cleaning your EGR if it is easy to get at on your model.
Heavy build up on valves can cause dramas.
Inlet manifolds build up a hard crusty crap that resembles inside an of an oven in the shearers quarters!
Spray solvent additives takes off the recent outer layer, but under that is like coked tar.
Catch cans can help prevent further build up.
If I had an old diesel motor that was suffering excessive build up in the Inlet manifold, I would be tempted to buy one of kettle steam cleaners.
And feed it in past the MAS sensor to wetten the hard dry build up for a while, then give it some solvent spray, and repeat every 10 minutes for an hour.
On my rig, if an injector is stuffed, they stay in the open position constantly, the pulse actually gets it to close , not open!

Jaros said:
Doesn't do much if you buy good quality clean fuel and change your fuel filters regularly. I just use F18 fuel treatment cos I get 20,000 k out of a fuel filter and I get a united fuel card through work and I don't always trust their fuel 100%

Mvland said:
Hi I have a problem with my 2008 Holden Colorado 4x4.Its a 3ltr td with 265000 ks.
The problem Im having is its using a lot of fuel. Only getting 300 ks to a 76 ltr tank.
It does not blow any smoke and no loss of power. The only thing it is doing from time to time is hunting I think they call it and then stalling.
Any information much appreciate

Could be the suction control valve to,your motors a 4jj1 isuzu......

PS: https://www.baileysdiesel.com/on-highway/diagnosing-common-rail-diesel-faults-suction-control-valve/

Remove & clean the MAF sensor to start with , You can use electrical contact cleaner or metho in a pump pack or buy the proper stuff from supercheap or repco. If this doesnt help, Take it to a good mechanic with a decent scan tool and ask to have the DTCs checked. This will give you a head start on where to look, but probably wont tell you the exact cause. Common rail Diesels are a pain to diagnose and the test gear to do so is expensive. You can make your own injector leakage test kit from siringes and fuel injector bleed off hose You can also buy some cheaper scantools like Creed and run some live data on various sytems whilst driving :| . But then you need to be able to decipher what the tests are telling you. :rolleyes:

Strange first post on a prospecting Forum :(

diggin4gold said:
mudgee hunter said:
diggin4gold said:
O2 sensors, plugs, spark plugs
Hmmm, perhaps not in a deisel....

And if it's a diesel, then getting it scanned with a scan tool will help :)
Ha, what year was it when they started fitting diesels with scanner connections?
Think it was 96 +, - for petrol motors.
Scanner danner on youtube knows his stuff.

could be a blocked/near blocked PCV valve. Rip her off and clean in some petty checl the hoses as well they get clogged to

Jaros said:

No mate, Injector Cleaner is very corrosive because it is designed to eat Carbon buildups and it will eat your injectors over time, You should only add the correct amount to the correct amount of litres of fuel and you should do it around 1 to 5 tanks of fuel and with some brands 1 to 10 tanks of fuel using other brands,

If you use too much of it it will eat out the injector holes so they become bigger and will no longer fire a mist of diesel which then the diesel does not spread evenly in the cylinder so you get too much in one spot which will create hot spots and eventually eat a hole in the top of the piston, For safety just do it once every 10 Tanks of fuel, If it does start to eat your injectors you will see a drop in fuel economy over time,

Hope that helps,

PS, I only do mine when the Oil and Filters are done and a week before it has to go for a roadworthy, :Y:

Notorious fuel guzzlers Just sell the :poop: my Triton gets 12 ks per litre sometimes 13.. depends on the wind direction. :perfect:

Latest posts