Fruit, vegetables and quarantine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamwalking

Peter
Reaction score
Experience has made me a bit wiser in knowing some do's and don'ts when it comes to fruit and veg.
Sth Aust has been vigilant with the establishing of fruit fly inspection stations, specifically for the control of goods coming into SA.
Strategically placed on roads entering SA at boarder control stations you have to dump all the produce in your possession or face costly fines.
Some areas within SA there are internal control measures, billboard notifications to dump any produce you have at designated bins or face fines if you dont have a purchase receipt showing that the goods in your possession were purchased in SA. Bad luck, if you are pulled over and questioned, generally a vehicle towing any form a camping goods can draw attention.

The price of fruit and vegetables when travelling away from major centres can almost be classified as a luxury, and it is not the sort of thing you want to purchase shortly before crossing a state boarder unless you know the rules and regulations.
For anyone planning a big trip this free little booklet may be of interest to you.

Travellers Guide to Australian Interstate Quarantine
Quarantine Domestic.
Phone 1800 084 881

Cheers Pete

Hey I live in SA, I've travelled the Sturt Hwy out of SA with fruit n veg purchased in SA, then returned to SA and had to dump it because I did could not prove I bought it here.

A receipt is not always going to tie to the package of food unless there are labels on it saying "Produce of SA". ie a plastic bag from a supermarket containing Tomatoes could have been bought anywhere, even with a receipt. However a blister pack with the shop details or identifying the product, especially unopened would be allowed without a receipt.

WA at Eucla for those interested are just as vigilant, they will even take Honey in a jar and unopened off you.

Redfin ... That is a great link, cuts out the middle men ... LOL... telstra, optus, virgin and all others, thumbs up on that link.,,,, damn but they still get you anyway .. you have to pay them for the internet service...(sigh).... well at least they didnt get me on a double whammy..
use the internet to look up a number and then make a phone call.

Ahhh memories .. I once recall getting a free phone directory.. you could look up anything and anybody, then ring them and talk for ever for 4 pennies = 3 cents

Cheers Pete.

Another thing they look for is fruit boxes, so watch what you pack things in. When I went to WA they checked everyone at the border, I had 2 fruit boxes with things packed in them. Their nice about it though, they had a supply of boxes there to change over to and dump the fruit boxes. It wasn't any great drama, just a bit of time you can save if aware.

Latest posts