freshwater creeks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowy

Jason Snow
Reaction score
Howdy all, I was just wondering if there was any web sites that people may know of, or know of any places that would be good to set down my sluice box that might have a good chance of success? Living near Bribie, North of Brisbane of have done the Gympie / Kilkivan area with only small success with best so far being a .76gram nugget, but I would love to set down in a nice creek where Rangers won't bother me and locals won't take pot shots at the funny looking bald guy

Hey Snowy,

I am also on Brisbanes Northside (Near NorthLakes), just purchased an SD 2000 so trying to work out good areas to go on the northside.
I have also done Gympie... but I think that ground has been worked over so much that there is nothing left (did you have any luck)?

I only panned up there... maybe I should give the detector a crack. Do you know of anywhere closer to Brisbane?

Cheers,

Ele.

hey elemental09, Gympie is a little tapped out atm, but around Kilkivan I have had some success, I scored my first nugget ever this year .76 gram, plus a little of the finer stuff so in total for the year 1.56 grams so if you minus the petrol and that I am sort of still way out of pocket, but important thing is the fresh air and having fun, plus knowing there still big ones to be found. I have had a bit of success on the beaches though, late last year I scored 2 gold rings and one even had a diamond in it and only yesterday I managed to find a 1cent piece and 2 sinkers.

G'day, trying to find somewhere to prospect around the SE Queensland takes a lot of research and door knocking. The obvious areas such as Gympie have been flogged and kilkivan has good gold but no one will let anyone on there land. I have taken people to the 7 mile at Nanango but the biggest problem is access, 4WD only unless you want to carry the gear in and then there's the apparent lack of gold.
The gold here ranges from fine to rice grain size (rare). There had been small 1\4 ounce nuggets found but the areas that these were found in are on private land of course. People expect to find enough gold to cover the cost of the trip which ain't going to happen unless you put in the hard yards. I have found that it takes a minimum of two days to get any sort of result. The first day is spent finding and testing likely spots then opening them up which means moving all the rock which ranges from small to bloody huge. The bedrock can be can be deep and the deeper spots are where the gold is and now with the drought it's a good time to hit it because of the lack of water which is another problem.
The government needs to open up another area in the SE corner. It's to far for me to travel out to warwick (8hr run) just for a weekend, I need at least a week and that ain't going to happen for a while.
I'll stick with the 7 mile for now as it is a great, quite place to camp and any gold found is a bonus. I'll still take people there even if they say there's no gold there when they leave.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
:) Mick
The last bloke I went down there with was bumble bee, haven't heard from him since, hmmm,
Maybe his wife spotted the golf ball size dent in the fuel tank of the shopping trolley.
:eek:

I have never heard of Kilkivan, just looked it up... do you go detecting in State Forests / National Parks? - I guess all the private land is locked up.

After doing some research I found an area that i am going to try North of Brisbane... I have a good feeling about it, but it is very rugged
terrain... and I don't even have a 4x4!!! - should be interesting lol (but at least I can give the outskirts a good going over).

Ele.

The beans is right, you'll lose all your gear as well as your car. When I said Gympie was flogged I meant the fossicking area at deep creek. Most other gold bearing land is on private property. Do you have google earth, if so there an overlay on here that you can download for it that'll show all the gold mines in Queensland. You can walk into the creek at the 7 mile at Nanango, take a good 10 minutes.
:) Mick

Hi Axeman,

This spot isn't actually in a national park or state forest (just near them), however, for future reference... what are the penalties for going into state forests and national parks?
can they actualy confiscate my equipment and car?

Does anyone have links to the penalities? (it would be good to know).

Also, apart from the 'offical fossicking areas' ... where can you fossick? for example, if there is a National Park... and you are
'just outside the boundary'... how do you know if you can fossic?

Can I 'Detect' along roads? what about rivers or streams that are outside the national park but government owned?

It is so confusing.

Hey Snowy,

Are there fossicking areas in Kilkvan? or do you go on private property? I am heading up that way this weekend.

Cheers

Luke.

There is a gold mine where you can pay $11 and you can pan for gold there and normally you will get some, My wife's mother knows someone out at Blackbutt who has around 100 acres and what looks like old river beds and they have given me permission to prospect there. I have sent many emails to DME asking if I can fossick in some areas, way I figure it I can't get in trouble if they say it's ok, plus I always print out there reply's

I went out to kilkevan today...
I found a road mentioned on this website...its
Called west coast road...it is basically a dirt
Road in the middle of nowhere
With massive properties either side
Of the road. The road leads into bushland.
The road was covered in minrilised
quartz and slate. I spent a couple of hours
There...kept digging up old nails and junk
But it looks like it could be a good spot.

I also tried deep creek in gympie again...waste of time.

Luke

elemental do u know you can not dig at the side of roads you can only look and pick things up. I would be asking the property owners and hopefully you get lucky and one will let u on there land

No mate I did not know that (but I do now - thanks!). I have to be honest... finding information on where I am allowed to detect and dig is a nightmare. It would be really
useful if the Government had a specific website that detailed all of this (in the one section). I have searched all of the QLD Mines website... its ok to read the definition of a
'Road', but they need to put it in some contect. Grrr.

I am starting to think I will never find gold!

Luke

Latest posts