Free Camping in VIC State forrests

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condor22

Mike
Reaction score
I've tried to find info on this topic and so far have not found a definitive answer. So here's the hyperthetical scenario.

Around Maryborough there are 2 noted camp grounds - Karri Track and Waanyarra and, near St Arnaud there is the Teddington Weir camp.

It is obvious that they are free campgrounds and I believe the only facility are the drop toilets.

My question is this - If I wanted to work an area that was in a State Forrest and wanted to camp in that area, but it was not one of the designated camping grounds, am I legally allowed to do so? (consideration to only leaving foorprints ie responsible camping)

The same question would apply to National Parks in VIC, State Parks and areas noted as conservation areas within State Parks or Forrests.

I have heard conflicting answers from people I've chatted to, both in the prospecting and 4x4 fraternity. I had a good look in Parksweb and could not find an answer. They only usually point to designated campgrounds.

I have always camped where I detect in State Forests.
Just observe the rules and leave the area as you found it.

Latest posts