Fox detector (night)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone detecting at night ever experienced curious foxes due to the metal detectors signal beeps? Using an xp at night i will see loads of eyes about 50 metres away. Sometimes, one will get courage to come to 10 or less metres away and you can see it is fascinated by the beeps, as it tilts its head when they occur.
If i have dug a hole the fox will go and inspect the hole after i move a few metres on.. then continue to follow me at a few metres. Stopping when i stop. They dont come any closer than a couple of metres. I have had one or two follow me for an hour or more.
It was a bit concerning atthe beginning, but now it doesnt really bother me.. i do find it very interesting how the wild animal is so attracted by that noise.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nah it's still there waiting for you.... I would be keen to know the answer to your Fox issue tho...

LW....

Very interesting :Y: might give a go at home (no gold here) and take a rifle :Y: Now the boys will want my detector each night :lol: At $10.00 bucks a scalp we could contract the boys out and go buy some new toys :) edit - the boys can recover the lead and make sinkers too :power: :beer:

foxes are naturally very inquisitive, & they have acute smell & hearing, being able to track rodents & small critters that make squeaks & squeals. One of our old tricks when fox shooting, if you missed on your 1st shot :awful: (not very often), or it was already moving, was to let it run about 100m or so (they usually run parallel to you, trying to get a better look or get downwind for a sniff), & when it was then in an opening, let out a shrill whistle, or sometimes use a rabbit whistle. Nearly every time, the fox would stop side-on to look at what the sound was. They just cant help themselves. This trick doesn't work so well if they have been shot at a few times &/or wounded previously.
They get wise to human tricks (& traps) very quickly.
In my young years I often had a fox follow me when I was doing the rounds of my traps on foot. I never shot that fox. We kinda became bush buddies, & he got a free feed of rabbit bits (they like the heart & kidneys), & occasionally I would find remnants of a rabbit leg in one of my traps, so he was helping himself sometimes. The trade-off, I told him/her, was that they were not aloud to follow me home & raid the chook house. I only ever fired the shotgun off once over his way when he followed me too far back towards home.
Its just an inherent trait in their nature, that they will investigate sounds, & anyone or anything that may mean a free feed.
I admire the little :poop: , at the same time as hating them for the damage they do to wild life. That fox is the only one I have ever let live :argh:

Foxs are very inquisitive and can be called in close with a whistle or squeaky toy so Im not surprised they will be interested in the sounds of a detector .Food is a high priority and I think they are trying to figure out if these noises are coming from a wounded animal and easy prey . Also a fresh dig may be to them a freshly buried meal . I could do with a few Foxs here at the moment to deal with a rabbit problem we have . Cheers Booney

All makes sense now booney.
Buy a deus and set it to gm power. Go for a walk at night and a few might follow you home :Y:

Latest posts