Found at wilpena pound

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjilm

Phil hughes
Reaction score
1402364837_image.jpg

Yep, I would say its chert. It has the concoidal fracture lines of quartz which means its probably the same compositiion and the only rock I can think of that would fit is chert.

Araluen

Thanks guys I only picked it up becaus it was totally different from any other rocks I could see, stuck out like a sore thumb:)

Hi Bigjilm, I have recorded many aboriginal sites and scatters of flaked stone. I can see an unmistakable bulb of percussion mark where one flake was hammered off your stone and faces where other flakes have been hit off. If its golf ball sized it is the left over core after all the flakes have been hammered off. When the rock being worked gets down to about that size it gets difficult to hammer off the desired flakes and the core is discarded. The rock looks a little worn and varnished so I think the stone was probably worked a couple thousand years ago at least

So in my humble opinion i'm pretty sure you have a aboriginal core

The raw material is probably chert but could be a form of chalcedony also.

Cheers RedDirtDigger

Hi bigjilm great find looks like a fossilized bone,they still find fossils in the otways today some parts of the otways are still closed today due to finding fossills that date back millions of years.maybe yours come in from the heads with the currents great find anyway enjoy :lol:

looks real cool, ill be up there tomorrow for a bit of looking around and a camp from Adelaide great find there :)

It's a microlith, made from chert, some Old Fella used it as a fabricator.

The photo attached is a burin (awl), used to drill holes in tanned leather, or a piece of wood to drill a hole in a bullroarer - about the size of my thumbnail and discarded when it got too small to re-point it

1437447550_img_8548_edited-2.jpg

Latest posts