Flat wound vs Traditional wound coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The flat wound coils by Nugget Finder and Coiltek are super sensitive which makes them good for shallow gold. But would it be your first choice for hunting deeper large gold? The commander range are not as sensitive so therefore would have less emi less false signals and false targets from hot rocks and will go deeper than similar sized flat wound coils. Am I missing something here or does that make sense?

I gave away just about all my old coils, when I purchased the evo coils,the only advantage coils I kept was the 14x7 and the 14 spoked

I know the 15evo will punch down to 700mm and the 19 down to a metre,I dont want to be digging any further than that

Peko said:
I gave away just about all my old coils, when I purchased the evo coils,the only advantage coils I kept was the 14x7 and the 14 spoked

I know the 15evo will punch down to 700mm and the 19 down to a metre,I dont want to be digging any further than that

curious to know why you kept the 14x7 and 14 spoked?

I have used em. Maybe I struggle setting them up properly or something I dont know. Had a 15 spoked for nearly the whole time I've had the detector (2 and a half years) Only found 1 over a gram. Very hard to pinpoint with also. My 11 inch commander has found the bulk of my gold. 2 grammas 3 grammas 4 gramma and quite deep as well. Hence my question buddy. I've recently added a 12 inch evo which I've had more success with than the 15. Ive heard some professional prospectors swear by the traditional wound coils. I dont wanna dumb down my detector too much for.stability and lose depth. I wanna hunt big deep gold and have the right kit for that

BigL said:
Peko said:

curious to know why you kept the 14x7 and 14 spoked?

they were my favourite coils,I did end up trading the 14 for some gold off a local prospector as he really liked it too,I do regret getting rid of it,still use the 14x7 depending on terrain and much easier to pinpoint with when you have screaming targets in deep holes.

RobboChasinYella said:
I have used em. Maybe I struggle setting them up properly or something I dont know. Had a 15 spoked for nearly the whole time I've had the detector (2 and a half years) Only found 1 over a gram. Very hard to pinpoint with also. My 11 inch commander has found the bulk of my gold. 2 grammas 3 grammas 4 gramma and quite deep as well. Hence my question buddy. I've recently added a 12 inch evo which I've had more success with than the 15. Ive heard some professional prospectors swear by the traditional wound coils. I dont wanna dumb down my detector too much for.stability and lose depth. I wanna hunt big deep gold and have the right kit for that

I have been using my 12 mostly since I got them,but have been using ithe 15 a bit lately and I like it better than the 12,some of the pieces I have dug with the 15 I was sure they would have been a few grams but no .7g they certainly are sensitive

RobboChasinYella said:

Strange, I borrowed a 15 Evo from a dealer and found that nugget in my Avatar within 1/2 an hour, the next day I then found a 17 grammer, so I immediatly took the borrowed coil back and bought one and have only managed a 0.1g bit with it over 2 years of detecting. I love the coil but it don't love me, all my other coils have returned good gold. Yes the 15 Evo's are hard to pinpoint with, so thats was why I bought a pinpointer, a great move!

I've tried winding the 15" Evo's lead up the shaft both clockwise and anti clockwise, stood on one foot, closed my eyes and even farted when I start to dig - no matter what I do it simply won't give me any more gold... it still owes me after 2 years yet I paid for my 4500 with other coils in under a month! Its got me beat

Or maybe something like I was doing with the 25" DDX which is part flat wound. I had a rare earth magnet on the end of my pick handle hanging off the back of my belt down near the ground. I seem to have less problems since I got rid of the magnet.

The 15 tested well. It found it's one and only 1 gramma at Beaufort. Ive had it since Jan 2018 and used it a lot. Could be a dud mate. It definately hasnt been as good on gold as my 11 inch commander or the 12 evo. The 12 found gold first day out, gram plus, first nugget. . Or I just dont know how to setup for the 15.

Mine works brilliantly, i have a variety of coils but can't take the 15 evo off.
You seemed to have the test coil working well.
Jim

You may be onto something Robbo,
I too have found my deepest gold with the commander 11 inch, in WA , SA and GT fields. My two deepest finds were at a genuine .600 deep , However like lots of people I bought 2 more coils , 14 inch coiltek and 17 x 13 NF, both have been good coils with the 14" being more sensitive shallower but not as deep as the NF and the nugget finder not as sensitive shallow but better sensitivity around the .300 mark. However neither have ever matched the .600 depth of the standard 11 commander.

Funny isn't it, I still don't use the commander much these days. ???? However lots of examples on this forum of aftermarket coils finding awesome gold deep , scratch my head
ciao Big Johno

reynard said:
The problem is more likely your boots
Jim

yes thats a good point, I have noticed boots play a big part in large coil stability so I use a quality farmers rubber boot... very comfy too. Also no metal objects in front of shirt & pants.

The 11" MineLab are a ripper coil, for whatever reason a lot of people tend to underestimate their ability, moreso the benefits of owning them. Countless times I have reverted back to the 11" coil and had good success.. their sensitivity is definitely up there amongst the best. I would suggest anyone new to the GPX series becomes competent with their detector using the 11" ML coils before venturing out with any third party coil. If people did this we'd see less questions being raised asking why they cant tune a stable threshold whilst retaining good sensitivity and or depth. You need to know how a coil reacts to be able to learn or tune a detector, the 11" MineLab coils are a fantastic benchmark for this.

Traditional or flat wound, they both have their good and bad points just like DD or mono does. Learn your machine and in particular your benchmark then you will know when and why you use a specific coil.

BigL said:
reynard said:
The problem is more likely your boots
Jim

yes thats a good point, I have noticed boots play a big part in large coil stability so I use a quality farmers rubber boot... very comfy too. Also no metal objects in front of shirt & pants.

The 11" MineLab are a ripper coil, for whatever reason a lot of people tend to underestimate their ability, moreso the benefits of owning them. Countless times I have reverted back to the 11" coil and had good success.. their sensitivity is definitely up there amongst the best. I would suggest anyone new to the GPX series becomes competent with their detector using the 11" ML coils before venturing out with any third party coil. If people did this we'd see less questions being raised asking why they cant tune a stable threshold whilst retaining good sensitivity and or depth. You need to know how a coil reacts to be able to learn or tune a detector, the 11" MineLab coils are a fantastic benchmark for this.

Traditional or flat wound, they both have their good and bad points just like DD or mono does. Learn your machine and in particular your benchmark then you will know when and why you use a specific coil.

Great advice

Deepseeker said:
Or maybe something like I was doing with the 25" DDX which is part flat wound. I had a rare earth magnet on the end of my pick handle hanging off the back of my belt down near the ground. I seem to have less problems since I got rid of the magnet.
How is the 25 going?

Rockwall said:
Deepseeker said:
How is the 25 going?

Collecting dust :playful:

RM Outback said:
Rockwall said:
Deepseeker said:
How is the 25 going?

Collecting dust :playful:

Yep, pretty much with lockdown. Ironically after going insane for weeks on end and itching to get out, now I can't as there are a heap of things I have to do around home and in the shop for at least this coming weekend, which is supposed to be good weather-wise in the GT. I might go out the following weekend if I can get a leave pass, but knowing my luck the weather will be crap by then.

But yes, other than when I had a crook neck a few months back, the 25 is the only coil I run now (and probably will remain so until I get a 25" evo). I haven't found gold yet, but plenty of lead of various sizes from .22 shallow (which surprised me for such a big coil), musket ball size as deep as a couple of hundred mm or so, and then large steel junk very deep. The funny thing is, when I had a crook neck for the first time ever I tried the 11" DD Commander coil that came with the 5000 near Mt Moliagul one day, which I assume is bundle wound? It went and found an 1800's miners pick head at about 700mm deep in fairly hard ground. It was the faintest of signals that pulled me up, and just gradually got louder as I dug down. The ground was very moist though and the target of course turned out to be large & rusty steel, but it still blew me away that such a small coil could find anything at all that deep.

I'll stick with the big coils though (I've also got a 20" advantage which of course is bundle wound, and has found musket balls down to 200-300mm deep in Kingower, and a 21" x 17" Detech SEF). For me though, whose main reason to detect is to find a large nugget to name after my wife, if it's gold and any smaller than a musket ball, it's just another form of mineralisation that wastes my time :D

Latest posts