First Time Beach Detecting, Using ATX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, did my first ever beach detect today. didnt know what to expect but it was great fun. used the ATX and it was rreally impressive. only had an hour but found an area near rocks that was like a catchment. First thing up was a silver ring, been there a long time. second up a coin from the netherland, then an assortment of sinkers, hook, dog choker.
1405812396_unnamed.jpg

Was using the bunnings shovel but had alot of signals in the rocks where the shovel cant get to. Any tips on beach detecting? Also any good sites to buy a scoop.

Screw drivers are one of the most useful tools for crevices etc. And if u dont have one, get a pinpointer!

Nice first outing! Yes - you need a scoop with a metal handle that can handle prying up rocks because that is where the good targets are. Ebay has some sellers out of Latvia that make quality scoops with metal handles - buy one from them and you will be happy. :)

thanks, on my list pinpointer and scoop, there were alot of targets i could not get to. what seller on ebay sells the scoops?

A good start to beach detecting, also great to see you find some intersting stuff on the first hunt. I've found quite a few of those dog choker chains on the beach, they always get the heart going for a bit.

Would love to see the foreign coin cleaned up, and with a decent close up, they are always fun to find. A bit of bi-carb soda is usually all it takes to give a coin a decent clean if not too corroded. :)

had alot of signals that were deeper than the rocks, didnt have anything to did them with, any suggestions on tools. do things usually go that deep

If you look at the link PaulMarr posted the beach scoop will help you dig pretty deep. The only thing is the hole will start to fill up with water when you get deeper

I had a signal in the rocks that a previous operator couldn't dig due to(obviously) not the right tools and picked up a very old diamond ring for my efforts. It gets down to ,... just do the beach and don't care if someone has already done it, and always take your normal ground digging tool with you to get down through those rocks to the hard to get at goodies.

Have to agree with the guys - it's not something I look forward to but when detecting a good sounding target under rocks you have to be prepared to dig it out. SA Bogan has proven to me that it is worth it with gold rings and coins usually the found targets... as well as spoons! :)

I have even watched Bogan use his hands to dig around a rock to find the lifting point and lifted the rock with his shovel - some quite big and heavy - to retrieve the treasure. Part of detecting on the beach and sometimes is the location of the good targets on that day. Worth investigating further Kirk.

Latest posts