first day out

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prospecting puppy

Brendan Boughton
Reaction score
Decided to head out to watsons creek today for my first crack at it and found a perfect spot where the rocks formed a great spot that might capture those little yellow dots we all crave. Well unfortunately no such luck. Will most certainly head back to it when i kit myself out properly as there are awesome gaps between the rocks/boulders that you cant get a shovel in.

I went there years ago for a look. I noticed the main creek was worked quite well, and I only got one speak. But I do remember that the gully that fed the gold into the creek had old shallow shafts that were quite far apart. Maybe try digging between these shafts down to the clay and bedrock and pan that? I would think it will give better results.
Good luck :)

I was just thinking of that spot and remembered that I couldn't work out why the shafts were so far apart and then realised that they were just loaming shafts to find which side of the gully the reef was at. Normally back then they would have just surface stripped it and washed the whole gully out, but they were just test shafts to find the reef. So for sure there would be chunky gold left there in the gully.

If you want someone to come along on your next trip message me. :)

No worries bb, will let you know when im heading out again. Will probably not be for a while as im heading off to u.s.a. in October and i have my regular September new moon fishing trip to eildon next weekend.

Do the trout get on the bite on full moon?????

There's a touch of colour up at Eildon too, so take your pan.

We will be in the national park so a no go otherwise i would be detecting. Hell yeah the trout go well on a new moon. Heading up there friday morning and coming back sunday afternoon, we camp on the banks as we are in a boat. Only trawl for a few hours in the morning and then the afternoon so if i could i would be walking through those hills as where we are, only the die hard prospectors would walk through those hills to get to where we are by foot. No tracks at all. Also if you were a goat it would be easy

Latest posts