First Day of 3 weeks Long Service

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivarat

Brad Grant
Reaction score
First day of long service and I went for a quick look at a quartz reef about 3 km walk from home.
Did better than I thought I would. I know tomorrow is going to be a lot worse (the dentist) I broke a tooth the other day.
1441869960_photo0212.jpg

A little pocket the crystal at the front is about 18mm long
1441869960_photo0214.jpg

There were alot of milkly crystals but a few with clear points. The one on the bottom right is about 40mm long
1441870508_photo0211.jpg

Only a small hole just below the reef outcrop, but I wonder whats deeper.

Good on ya mate, it can be hard work to get started with finding good crystals and best bet to find the good ones are creck tailing piles where the big quartz is and study the size of crystal in each pile.

If you have no tailing near, do a sort of loaming, and visually look for where the quartz runs from and head uphill unti you don't see quartz. Backtrack until you see it again and dig down to see if a vein is visible nearby. I hit a few stringers up a mountain locally 1m down.

Usually around adits and shafts many oldtimers would stack crystals mixed with normal quartz as they didn't care too much about it, though a find was made which discovered gold may lay on the bottom of large crystals and could have started a mini crystal rush to crush and mush.. 8)

But it seems you already know this anyway.

40mm size sounds promising for where your digging, hope you hit a nice pocket, a bent clothes wire hook helps to judge pocket depth and direction before deciding where to hit with a chisel

Latest posts