first crack at leather belt.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work Reefer. I made a few belts and wallets 40 odd years ago, carved them. The wallets had pig skin inserts and hand stitched. Gave them all to friends ,they enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed making them. I used a foot square piece of marble that I bought from a stone mason. Damp leather is perfect for carving or stamping but not wet. Looking forward to your next piece.
Well Done.
Mackka

Thanks Mackka,...yes I discovered that as well :Y: l..in retrospect, I recall my Dad ...60years ago..repairing his shoes...he was a bloody wizard with leather...and he would always start with soaking the leather and leave for a while until the leather was just damp..not wet...I'm a bit slow to mind these days...but I'd bet if the old bloke were here now he'd belt me in the ear ole; for not paying attention to what he was showing me! :lol: :lol:

Lindon :cool: ...great to hear from you mate thank you for considering me for a new belt job...I suggest you wait till I post up the one I'm doing for Sage my eldest grandson...It is in ''ld Baltic'' a light Tan shade as is the last two..but features 'VIOLET as a contrast element against Black BUCK Stitch as the main element... It also incorporates a CELTIC KNOT stamping which is a part of the violet feature .I should finish it tomorrow...or so...and I think it will be the best I've attempted thus far..would love to catch up to you sometime mate ..on the diggins. :Y: :cool: Regards to both of you..Rossco.

Well, as promised.. I have(almost)finished young Sage's belt.just a touch of glue on the lacing ends and a stamp of the Celtic Tree of Life to the back of the belt. As is normal for me there's a touch of symbolism attached to this belt in along with the Violet and Black which I chose for him.It lies in the form of the Dara Knots incorporated in the violet elements either side of the Buckle and Tip.
It dates from the Druid Era of about 300 A.D.! And is based on the root system of the Oak.They held it to be that this tree was sacred in that each one was a reincarnation of an ancestor, the knot has no ending or beginning endowing the bearer with the strength of the Oak roots in times of need and the Tree of Life is depicted with both leaves and branches as well as the root system...As is Above So is Below...it relects of Harmony in nature,a long life,of Wisdom and Rebirth and much of the ceremony around the spring equinox festival coincided with the new season flush of leaves...so you can see I give my all when I give,and mundane things can belie a lot more than first site allows. :cool:
1623582322_1belt_for_sage_2.jpg

1623582349_2belts_for_sage_2.jpg

I'll repost the belt tommorow night with the edges burnished and the Oakwood treatment applied...but this gives you a rough idea where it's heading.Regards to all ....reefer :zzz: ..so tired...when Iclose my eyes all Isee is bloody buck stitches!...hehe :cool: :lol:

Latest posts