Finally time to start a thread

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, finally after about 4 months on the forum and getting a wealth of information from others I thought I would begin to discuss my own successes. When introducing myself I explained I was introduced to the hobby ( now addiction) by my son 8 yrs of age, so we purchased a gold bug pro. Weapon of choice as follows
1413009191_image.jpg

Trying everywhere and anywhere we found bottle caps and junk and first find was a 20c piece 1966 but not a wavy after closer inspection.
Then while up at the in laws in the very northern suburbs of Adelaide this was our first find that came with an expletive when I read the date
1413009514_image.jpg

1413010002_image.jpg

Unbelievable only about 5cm (yeah I am a 1970s born so use metric) below the surface. The tag was local to the area and obviously was farmland at the time lost. Definitely no remains of Rover either. More finds to come soon just got to resize all the images. Once again if wasn't due to the information gained from this site I would probably would have thrown it in.

Cheers :)

Great stuff there Ferozn1, that dog tag is a great find for sure mate. Poor Rover died the day before his/her first birthday :|

great to find the dog tags., better than a coin sometimes. got few myself. pt gawler council back then. district 115 from memory. you mbe on to a good site there.

Welcome Ferozn1, how are you finding the GB Pro. So far I've found it's pretty good in junky and iron ridden ground ( I've got the Teknetics G2 -same detector), even better than my explorer, but doesn't go quite as deep.

Love the dog tag, haven't got on myself as yet. :)

Cool find Ferozn1(had to say it),..All my dog tags are recent, usually lost as the dog pulls free on a walk through the bush I presume,...not when rover was shot because of all the foam around his mouth.

Thanks Goldpick, this being my first detector I can't really compare to anything else. I purchased the unit I felt best suited my needs with the budget I had ( second hand). I am only just now starting to get an idea with the sounds the unit makes and did a heap of air tests with different items in the sandpit at home so could see the numbers. Otherwise I love it as the more I use it the more comfortable I feel knowing I am doing something right.

Also from the research I have done the registration disc is Mulda Wirra which is Willaston???
More than likely caught on something removing the tag.

I then purchased a pro pointer to locate finds which obviously helps a great deal so here are some of my coin finds so far as I only really get to use my detector once a week at this point
1413103164_image.jpg

Also sorry all it took a while to get back to everyone as was wedding anniversary number 17 yesterday

Last week went away with the family to Barmera. Staying in the caravan park and did a little bit of research prior to departing, I got to detect a couple of times in the park with permission on the Lake Bonney's edge. Return was good to say the least and got to check how the GB Pro reacted to wet sand. Got about $8.50 in coins a few sinkers and my first pre decimal (silver too :) ).
1413111899_image.jpg

1413111928_image.jpg

1921 sixpence woo hoo! It's extremely thin I am too scared to try clean it more than this. It was really crusted over and I thought it was a washer at first so I used my screw driver to scrape the crust away ( next time I will wait till I'm back home) extremely surprised to say the least. As I have read and now experienced you never know when and where you will make that next find.
And so that's pretty much where I am at the moment other than I have the full weekend off next week, except for kids sport so am already planning my next trip. Maybe the better half's family farm that has been in the family since 1852 surely there is something there.

It's been ages since I have posted anything but just to let everyone know I am still around I have just been busy with work and family. I have had a quick couple of detects in my spare time and here are the memorable finds. Of course there is probably 20x that in junk
1417170491_image.jpg

Only a short day with work tomorrow so hopefully will be able to get out and about

Your certainly in the right area . Each one of those finds could well have been something very special. Keep looking .... The next one could be silver ;)

I had my first night detect on Sunday once the sun went down and went to my local park. What a different way to detect as I really started to get a better understanding of tones by working with only the street lights. Setting the discrim on the Gb pro I only found a couple of targets but all copper except a lonely dollar sitting in the grass. The head torch was useful as where I found 2 of the coins someone else had previously looked as the plugs dug were disgusting and both off by about 10 cm. Any way here are the finds nice to note I only found 1 bottle cap on this trip
1417690360_image.jpg

Then today I had a look next door as the house had been sold and tenants have moved out, I got the owners permission to have a look before settlement went through as the house is going to be demolished and 2x new ones squeezed on the block. The house dates to the mid 1960s so did a quick scan of the yard and here are the finds
1417690626_image.jpg

Finally got to adding an avatar and the better half suggested it as she cracks up when she sees the advert on TV at the moment. For those who haven't seen it google peoples choice credit union ad as I can't work out how to add a link at the moment :cool:

At least someone is digging out all those nasty bottle caps for you Ferozn1.
Good on you with the silver find.

Latest posts