Finally time to buy a GPX4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete with your enthusiasm backed by Nenads experience and product knowledge you will have it sorted in no time. Your already off on the right foot simply by your place or purchase. :Y: If your in the Bendigo area drop into DD Leather (Factory 1/20 McDowall's Road) and have a chat with Dean. You will probably leave with at least one of his great products but he has been detecting for 30 plus years with heaps of local knowledge and also swings a 4500. Good luck with it all and hope you find whats at the end of the :rainbow:

Hey Bogger I should be in Bendigo for a couple of days in 2 weeks time for work so will do my best to pop in and see Dean.
I finished my job in Camperdown at 10:30am so shot up to Linton and had a play around there for a couple of hours.
Started with the Commander 11" mono in factory settings, General, Enhanced, Fixed, Mono on the front end at some old test holes at the top of a gully and it ran very stable, I was actually worried the threshold was too quiet through the headphones as I could only just hear it with the threshold at 12 Oclock so I put the Signal to 16 and Target Volume to 16 to see if that helped, after a couple of sweeps down the hill I swung over a target that nearly blew my ears, I actually jumped in fear thinking something went wrong then chuckled when I realised it was the target so turned the Signal and Target Vol back to FP :lol:
I was getting a few nails and rust so decided to try the soil timing in Normal but was picking up too much red clay pockets so went back to Enhance but tweaked up the RX and Stab a little until the threshold was just on the edge of stable.

After a couple of hours I swapped over to the 14x9 evo and ran same settings and it too ran well, just on the edge of stable but the target signals jumped out a lot more.

All in all it was a fun and worth while trip and I feel confident enough to start detecting this Saturday with the 14x9 evo, if it becomes a handful I'll simply swap back to the Commander 11"

To top off a great day I just got home and my cable guard and sP01 were sitting at the front door :Y:

Wow can't believe how quick the postage is at the moment, I purchased a new NF 15" evo spoke and Detech Ultimate 15" DD coil from Nenad last Thursday and they were posted Friday arvo and the ETA was for this coming Tuesday, knock on the door 30 mins ago and thank you very much.

The fever has been bad.....very bad since finding my first lil nug on my first trip with the 4500, haven't managed a swing since but have got 2 days work in Ballarat and 2 days in Avoca in the next 2 weeks so I'm determined to fit a few hours swinging in.

While waiting to get back out all I've been thinking about is detecting, day and night. Last Monday I was working in Bendigo for the day only (36c so no detecting :( ) and called in to see Dean at Double D Leather then around to see Paul from Solar Gold Australia, fantastic guy and bought a single speaker (for showing mate the signal) and the Aluminium case to help protect the gear in the back of my work van. I picked his brains for around 90 mins and could have spent hours there listening to his stories and advice on all things detecting, time very well spent.
I've attached the swing arm I had from my Whites machines and nearly bought another knuckle until I realised they just glue in a plastic sleeve for the Whites shaft, hip stick ready to go, new head lamp for next 3-4 day trip in Jan and have researched, researched and researched some more while I wait to be back in the right place at the right time :lol:

Again, I just want to thank Nenad for such promptness and great service and advice, you're a champ mate :Y: and also to you guy's who keep me awake at night reading up on your tips, hints and stories of the trips you've done. I've never been so happy to go to work and see where my jobs are for the month and try plan them around the weather so I can sneak a few hours detecting in while I'm there.

One last note, It's been three years since I started detecting with other machines, lots of frustrations along the way and even sold everything and chucked it in for 6 months due to shoulder issues and frustrations, even asked to quit the forum but the urge to dig a nugget was too strong and since getting back into it 12 months ago it's been one hell of a journey for sure. I've learnt so much in that time and it finally led to finding my first lil nug a few weeks back, such a big moment in my short prospecting time, I've got my share of gold from panning, sluicing and dry blowing but nothing compared to the challenge of finding gold detecting and now that I have it feels like I'm back at the start again, like I'm just beginning to nut stuff out but there's one thing for sure, the desire to succeed has never been stronger and armed with the right tools I've never felt more confident either.

So, thanks guy's!

1512279321_20171203_155547.jpg

Just got a 4500 myself, awesome machine. Being able to flick into enhance to check ground noise and hot rocks saves so much time.
First serious day with it found 3 bits for 2.5g with the standard mono, one being a flat .15g at 6+ inches.
It took me 6 months to find a total of 3.5g with my first detector.

Couldn't be happier!

That is a very neat aluminium case, will have to hunt one down. Now I got a bigger coil for my 4500 it doesn't fit in the minelab bag. Cheers.

Rockbottom said:
That is a very neat aluminium case, will have to hunt one down. Now I got a bigger coil for my 4500 it doesn't fit in the minelab bag. Cheers.
I haven't seen many come up second hand, bought mine new from Solar Gold Australia on Ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alumini...hash=item2a98955b95:m:mK4g5QEbSCFg94NE1YjaR6A not cheap but great protection as I take my 4500 away when doing country runs at work and it lays in the back of my current hire van with boxes, tubs and tools filling the floor space, no racking yet so for me it was a no brainer. It will fit up to a 14" round coil, my two 15" coils are both in a Pelican case with foam on bottom, between and on top of the coils, bit of a bulky way of storing/transporting but great protection for my investment.

Latest posts