Finally .....First little nugget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well after 4 trips over 18 months to the GT for a total of 17 days detecting (not full days, bit hard with wife and three young ones! although we try to get them involved -( they love panning and looking for crystals and agates)- I started reflecting on what I was doing and changed the way I was looking for gold. I am never one to give up on anything, especially something I get passionate about.

I took an RDO today and headed over (I am in the north east - Wodonga) to Rushmore for a quick look and detect. Four hard hours of going thoroughly was keeping me busy.
After digging around 40 targets, mainly pellets, I had another faint signal....dug it, found it was a funny shape, gave it a quick rinse, and a gleam of yellow shone through...Wow, amazing how the small things can make us smile!!! LOL!
My first nugget, and yes using the Shot Detecting Coil - (SDC)
I continued on and ended up with just shy of 100 items dug in four and a bit hours... bit sore in the back though!
Was really stoked with the Musket Ball and percussion caps! at least I think its a musket ball.

So those other members getting frustrated and annoyed at the lead shot.....don't, I took it as a challenge knowing that if I am pulling lead out, then
1) no-one else has been there with an SDC and that
2) If you am finding small lead pellets, then you just need to swing over gold to find it - it will happen.

It went 0.16 grams

Cheers,
Luke

Nothing quite beats that feeling of shock and elation that your first glint of gold delivers.

Congratulations Luke :cool:

Great work Luke.

It's nice to find your first bit. I guessing you went to Rushworth, not Rushmore? If you are from Wodonga and you want a shorter drive there are plenty of good spots around Beechworth with similar size gold - and all the lead shot you could hope for :D

You may already know about the area but if you want some specifics shoot me a pm.

Cheers.

Thanks for the positive comments fellas.....LC76, I reckon I was hooked when I found the first few specks of flour gold in a pan!!
Hey Northeast, yes sorry all, bit of a dyslexic moment, I meant Rushworth.....? would have been a fast flight to the states otherwise !
Cheers.

Great work Luke.
My first was .16 also, i remember the feelings when i seen it in the scoop.
Plenty more to come now mate :Y:

Nice piece Luke.It`s an amazing feeling when you get that first piece and you will find that from there-on they will keep coming.

Cheers

Phil

Congrats Luke,

Well done - still remember that awesome feeling of the first one.
More to come for sure. :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

Congrats on the find Elusive. :D :Y:
Hmm, got some nice detail on it too! I think hackly nuggets look most interesting! Sometimes the Gold can tell you an interesting story about its history if you 'read' the outer appearance of it....that probably makes no sense lol (I'm thinking about a small alluvial nugget I have).

Great story. I'm in Wodonga too. Think I'll get a SDC this month considering I do well with the highbanker but have never detected a nugget.

Great read Elusive.
As i have just purchased my first detector, i'm keen as to get out there.

Congrats, great piece !

Latest posts