Feedback Required - Pyramid Pro Pan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavfromoz

Gav
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I"ve done a bit of reading up on the Pyramid Pro Pan.

Has anyone used it and if so, what is your feedback. I know there are many gimicky goodies out there, some work and some don't (this is is everything, not only prospecting). The Pyramid is pretty dear with the import/frieght costs added as well and I just didn't want to waste it if it wasn't any good.

The same likes here. The idea of being able to use it where the creek isn't running and you are unable to use a high banker or the like. I also like the idea of this as it saves you from having to carry all that associated equipment especially if you have to walk a fair distance. If it works as the videos shot it does, then I would be prepared to pay (actually almost $180 including freight). See how we go.

Seams like something one could build relatively simply with parts from bunnings... Might have to build one next pay day.

Looks good to me, once the fine stuff is in that catcher at the bottom it's probably got no chance of coming back out accidentally.

I've just received a reply from the inventor. He quoted to send the Pyramid pan and the other square pan to me here in Syd for $189.90 for both. He was really annoyed at the cost of the postage and also stated that he is still looking for someone to be his Aussie distributor. So there you go, for anyone who's adventurous enough :)

I like the idea and did a bit of browsing around for any sort of similar shaped funnel/container that might work as a poor man's DIY alternative. Didn't find much, if anything suitable in Australia to be honest, but I did come across this which might work okay:

15 Quart Drainer Container by GEO Plastics (American)
1378821810_15qt.jpg

Dimensions: 22"X15"X6" - pretty big! they do have a smaller version.

Might do the job okay with a bit of customization? Can only get 'em in the States but only $20 USD... I've contacted one of their distributors regarding shipping down under, waiting on reply if anyone's interested.

What ya's reckon, would it work okay?

Sorry to dig an old thread, but its a breeze to use. I'm a convert, and the prices mentioned above are more than i paid. The time it saves is amazing, and produces excellent concentrates, you can move a great amount of material in a short time, i only wish they had a larger version a super pro if you like. I reckon my 6 year old nephew could outdo me if he had this and i was classifying and running a Garrett pan. Worth every cent.

I've got one now but haven't yet had the perfect opportunity to use it. The last trip was the Nundle outing but hardly any water to use it. Maybe the Easter trip may do the trick

Unable to get out and about I set up in the backyard today and went through some old cons i had panned out previously before getting one of these. Picked up on some small stuff using the pro pan from a few buckets, nothing exciting but just goes to show how good this is at refining cons and keeping the colour in. Every flake counts, gave me more confidence and a chance to refine my technique for the next day trip.

They would not be too difficult to make using flat sheets of fibreglass that you can make using a piece of waxed up Melamine as a mould.
2 laminates of 400 GSM glass would give a finished sheet of 3 mm ,strong enough to cut up into four sides to arrive at the the pyramid shape.
The round trap section could be made in a similar method using polythene plumbers pipe as a mould with a release agent such as wax or polyvinyl .
It's simply a matter then of glueing all the bits together, pop rivet in the riffles & away you go.
I will make one or two when I gat back from the NT in July

You've got my mind ticking now, I was looking at it this morning wondering how to make a bigger version. i was leaning toward ppe and seeing if it could be plastic welded and now I've read this you've hit on the perfect solution. I have some leftovers from a hull repair i did a couple months back. super size pro to go thanks!

Latest posts