Falls down old mine shafts

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its doesn't help when 4wd magazines publish suggestions on how to find said mineshafts......

While in the area, I wanted to take the group to see a little mine that very few people know about. The track down to the mine is heavily rutted and parking is at a premium at the bottom. For this reason 15 vehicles was reduced to six as we all piled into as few cars as possible. At the bottom a short walk takes you to an old boiler, which is slowly being reclaimed by the surrounding bush. Not far from the boiler is a small opening into the cliff face. It looks tiny but crawl through and it opens up into a mine shaft; and about 50m in it opens further into a huge cavern, complete with a carved-in sluice to the surface.
https://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/4x4-earth-nsw-annual-meet/

Regards,
Tote

When I was there a few years ago I found two shafts that had been recently filled in and capped with concrete , I guess they thankfully missed a few

Watch out for air shafts,small hole,no dirt,can be covered by rubbish.
Dropped a long tape down one near Taradale,just on a 100 ft.

Isn`t there a rule in NSW about sticking to designated tracks and not riding through the bush over vegetation like we have in Victoria ? I don`t fancy his chances .

just starting said:
Isn`t there a rule in NSW about sticking to designated tracks and not riding through the bush over vegetation like we have in Victoria ? I don`t fancy his chances .
Yes has to be a registered vehicle/bike & licensed driver/rider on established tracks that are open.
It's not clear whether he was riding a motorbike or not though as one newspaper report I read said they were mountain biking? It still doesn't excuse his decision to enter an abandoned mine tunnel though regardless. He made that decision & should wear the consequences as above.
Finding then sign posting/barricading or sealing all the old mine tunnels & shafts in Australia just isn't practical. There's only one solution that will appeal to bureaucrats & bean counters if he wins - shut these areas to the public.

Latest posts