Empire Day Cross/Medal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have found what appears to be an Empire Day Cross/Medal in an old site which dates to the turn of the 19th century and was a gold mining area until about 1910. Does anyone have any information about this medal or its possible rarity/value? All I can find using Google is a single reference and the attached photos from the Victoria Museum. Mine is losing most of the gilt, but still has a little in spots. The St George face was down in the soil and is in better condition than the Victoria's head side.

1494749228_234697-small.jpg

1494749228_234698-small.jpg

1494749228_empire_day_medal_1.jpg

1494749228_empire_day_medal_2.jpg

Hi 7.62marksman,

Thanks for your post. How did you find this ebay picture? I had a look on there unsuccessfully. Yours looks a bit different to mine and the Vic Museum's as it looks like it is slightly convex whereas the others are dead flat. It may just be an optical illusion from the reflections on it's polished surface.

Cheers,
Troutman

it could be because i had to take a photo of the picture on the computer screen and depends on how the other person took the photo
also i got it from the sold listings
for some reason it would not let me do it any other way (picture was protected i think it said)

Latest posts