Egyptian necklace

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster!

I have the bug! I don't think I will ever look at anyone's front yard the same when I walk past in the street, I no longer see grass I see hunting grounds ha ha.

My journey started about 9 months ago when I got the kids a kmart toy detector. Well, after taking control of the detector and digging up the backyard, I moved onto an ebay cheapo detector, again after digging up the backyard again, I went on to recently purchase an AT Gold and love it. For those wonder I went through Ed at Texas, it took a couple of weeks to get here but I would recommend him like many others do on this forum.

Anyway, I found this on the weekend. I've done a bit of goggling, and it appears to be King Faroud Egyptian. He features on a hexagon coin from there but the reverse side is different. I'm thinking it's a souvenir necklace from someone visiting Egypt but I can't find an exact match. Two of the tokens were joined together when I pulled them out. Anyone seen similar?

1381702291_1.jpg

1381702319_2.jpg

Cheers,
Klinga

Welcome aboard Klinga,

That's a pretty interesting find but I think you're right about it being a souvenir of some kind. It would still be good to find it's origin though.

I have an AT Gold also and just love it, so please let me know if you have any questions as I'll more than likely be able to assist.

Nugget.

Yeah I don't think its anything of value. Just be interesting to find it's origins. I think it's what I like best about the hobby the history and the story of finding a lost item.

The parks I've been to have been pretty trashy, a lot of aluminium. A lot of targets between 30-40, I know gold can be in this range, but would you ignore this in a park area when searching for coins/relics? I'm obviously still learning the machine but the coins I've found are usually short sharp sounds in the high 50's plus.

Most active (or previously active) parks will be trashy, this can be a good sign that possibly no one has detected it before. My advice is to use the stock 5 x 8 DD coil and go slow with it.

With really trashy areas that you know contain old coins and relics, you could try and dig in layers. So by turning the sensitivity right down start by digging only the top layer of targets, when done then go back over the area with the sensitivity turned up a few notches and dig all targets again, repeat until you reach maximum sensitivity. I know it sounds like lot of work but it might pay off in the end.

With the above method, just be mindful of what you're doing to the place, try and dig as neatly as possible and if you find you're digging holes every 5cms then you might have to abort and move on.

Latest posts