Edge of water line beach detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive been doing the dry sand on the beach and curious about whether or not to hunt along the waters edge , (fresh water beach) Im assuming that I will have to detune the sensitivity of my 705 as anything above 18 in the dry sand creates falseys , never tried it but wondering about other peoples experience!

Rattail-1927 said:
Ive been doing the dry sand on the beach and curious about whether or not to hunt along the waters edge , (fresh water beach) Im assuming that I will have to detune the sensitivity of my 705 as anything above 18 in the dry sand creates falseys , never tried it but wondering about other peoples experience!

I run the 705 on Full Sensitivity on beach both dry and wet sand no falsing.... But sometimes I run it back a bit because targets can be over 2 feet deep...
Threshold should be on 6 - 8 and run it on tracking, also don't run it on beach mode.

golddiggerart said:
Rattail-1927 said:

I run the 705 on Full Sensitivity on beach both dry and wet sand no falsing.... But sometimes I run it back a bit because targets can be over 2 feet deep...
Threshold should be on 6 - 8 and run it on tracking, also don't run it on beach mode.
For some reason Im getting falseys anything over 18 on sensitivity, I ground balance often but seems the same, I think its time I went back to the book and work out my gremlins... lol
To be continued lol

The 705 is a bit notorious for not handling the wet sand well. I've only found one 'clean' beach where I can get my sensitivity up around 25 with no falsing. Every beach is different though. I'd love to try the Equinox which is really built to handle it.

blackdiamond said:
The 705 is a bit notorious for not handling the wet sand well. I've only found one 'clean' beach where I can get my sensitivity up around 25 with no falsing. Every beach is different though. I'd love to try the Equinox which is really built to handle it.

I seem to be getting wildly different auto ground balance in different areas of the beach, some are around 19 -23 and sometimes as high as 57-58 .....although I have noticed some parts of the beach have a moist crust of fine clay about 7-8 deep, maybe Im getting some type of reflection off this?
It not all over it just in patches , Im still VERY HAPPY with my 705 overall and Ive nicknamed it the coin muncher lol

There's one small patch on a particular beach I sometimes go to that is so mineralised it's close to undetectable... agree it's a great all round machine though. I stretched myself on price when I bought it and glad I did!

blackdiamond said:
There's one small patch on a particular beach I sometimes go to that is so mineralised it's close to undetectable... agree it's a great all round machine though. I stretched myself on price when I bought it and glad I did!

I was the same, I stretched my budget for my 705 originally and I was thinking Id be able to fossick for gold every now and then , Id read that they would find gold... after seeing what people wrote apparently they suffer in mineralised ground, BUT , as it turns out I love finding coins and relics ( its not the value, its the feeling you get when you find a keeper ) and when we travel down to the golden triangle i will give it a go and then I can say with confidence whether it will or wont find gold !!

Rattail-1927 said:
blackdiamond said:

I was the same, I stretched my budget for my 705 originally and I was thinking Id be able to fossick for gold every now and then , Id read that they would find gold... after seeing what people wrote apparently they suffer in mineralised ground, BUT , as it turns out I love finding coins and relics ( its not the value, its the feeling you get when you find a keeper ) and when we travel down to the golden triangle i will give it a go and then I can say with confidence whether it will or wont find gold !!

There's no reason why a 705 wouldn't find gold. Sure it might not ping the deep small stuff perhaps but has anyone even tested to see if it does or not?

i found a 7.08 gramm gold nugget with a 705 so yes they do find gold :argh:
Rattail-1927 said:
blackdiamond said:

I wasn't the one that said they wont find gold , I own one , various posts ive read have mentioned them as being overwhelmed in highly mineralised ground , as I said I will make my own assessment once ive tried to find gold for myself ! .
One thing I do know is it IS A KILLER on coins and relics !! :cool:

I am currently running the Xterra 505 as the 705 I had is kaput....No troubles on the beach and in the wet.... I guess it's in the settings I use.

hey blackdiamond if that is the central bollard thingy from the old blackdiamond corner in port adelaide in your avatar i remember getting pinged by the coppers on the corner for playing on it in peak hour traffic as a kid

It will find gold and small gold using the right coil..the 6 inch 18.75..and you have to be in the right conditions.........it will false alot because the sensitivity is up high..And you will dig alot of junk..but if your using it on shallow bedrock around creeks your chances will be alot better ....For small gold listen for the short sharp dull tone.
Thats my experience with the 705 anyways . :perfect: Good luck.

Latest posts