Earphone or not to earphone ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im only a newby at the hobby still and I appreciate all u guys advice and(patience lol) .
So Ive been at the beach for a while (weeks) and using just the speaker on my 705 .... Ive been reading reading reading up as much as I can about tips and tricks , also Ive been using the stock 9 7.5k coil mostly , I tried the 10X5 18.75k coil a couple of times thinking it might snap me some jewels but I dont seem to get as many targets , not even junk , so now Im biased towards the 9 as its serving me well! .
And I read that a lot of people use earphones , is that just when youre hunting nuggets or at the beach, park , Showgrounds etc ..where ever youre journey takes you .experiences ,comments , advice welcomed!

Hey Rattail

I use headphones on the gold hunt, they block out all the other sounds you don't want (wind)

Haven't really had a decent crack at relic or beach hunting, though everyone I see on the beach with detectors seem to use headphones.
Probably for the same reason.

Try with and with and without and you will soon know your preference.

I don't use headphones on my 705 on relics. Never used the 705 on gold mode.

Best coil imho is the 12 inch round coil. It covers ground well.

Headphones for Gold. As STC mentions, almost blocks out coil scraping sounds, walking in grass and crunching stick sounds etc etc.

You can really tune in to the sound of the threshold ONLY and not get distracted by other sounds.

I dont want anyone to be able to hear the detector working and know where I am when out in the bush so love headphones.

Headphones, Hot in summer but awesome in Winter.

I had a 705 years ago. The beach with the sound of the waves I needed headphones so my preference was set early in my detecting foray.

Cheers

RS

Ok guys sounds like a bit of experience with some is the best way to go, Im happy with it as it is but I bought some blue tooth headphones this morning ,so when Im out Im not putting them on and off constantly.
Now all I have to do is work out how to get them working with the detector....lol

Personally I don't use headphones and haven't used headphones for years,but saying that I haven't used wireless headphones either.

The headphones that I have used have hurt after "prolonged use" and they can generate a lot of heat in the warmer weather also.

Yes hearing in the strong wind can be a challenge sometimes but generally I have managed.

Buying yourself a cheap emergency set could be useful in the wild weather when you might want to have a swing.

I do own some that come with my detector but haven't use them to date but would use them if needed.

I am a coin shooter and jewellery hunter not hunting the yellow.

So it is a - No - from me.

Hope this might help :Y:

P.S. if you detector speakers don't have enough volume you might have to use them.

I used earbuds on the beach with the 705, directly wired in, if you have a Bluetooth transmitter - awesome.

Parklands and bushland only used the earbuds when the wind was too loud.

Headphones are too hot and sweaty in my opinion.

Ok thanks guys my wireless headphones I bought wont work ( do with my phone) but the blue tooth device witch I already had for the plug at the detector wont talk to each other so I bought another adapter for the machine and JUST IN CASE that doesnt work I bought a hard wired coil plug just in case..... after u guys mentioned the wind , sticks and other distractions sounds like a great idea ! Cheers chaps !!

Latest posts