Dungue Fever cure

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneTheCrows

Neil Mulvaney
Reaction score
ABC radio today interviewed a lady who states her lab has founf a cure for dengue fever and possiblt the vika virus.
They have only tested on monkeys (as they do) but she said so far 100% succes rate for dengue.
They use a native aussie plant.

I ggogled it but could not find any other articles

wou;ld be good though

My ex-missus returned from visiting her family in Malaysia the year before last with dengue fever.
She thought she had a bit of a cold. Lucky her GP ordered a blood test for dengue fever.
Frightened the hell out of me. I'd never heard of dengue fever. Sounded like a nasty illness.
The doctor did say that once you've had it, you become more susceptible to the disease and each time it's symptoms are worse.
Chiron.

My sister caught it in Asia but didn't have any symptoms until she arrived in Perth. Can't remember the details but she felt like absolute . Eventually ended up in the hospital and became an exhibit for all up and coming doctors for tropical disease's.

We often get our garden sprayed against mozzies as there are a few cases of dengue here each year.

Hi Stone The Crows,

You probably won't hear much more about it for a while now until they (the govt. scientists who discovered it) isolate the exact compounds in the plant that are the "cure".

There is basically a business arm of the Queensland Govt that works with big multinational pharma companies on finding "cures" and other uses from native plants. This plant is a Qld native not sure if it grows in other states. Once the active compounds are isolated they will go through the patenting process so that they "own" the IP and then they will sell that knowledge to some big pharma company and make a lot of money.

You and I won't be able grow it in our backyards and go out and break off a few leaves to make a tea or eat the bark or whatever until it is available in tablet form. Even then if it isn't already a common garden plant we will only be able to buy it as a house or garden plant at exorbitant prices from govt controlled nursery sales, a bit like the Wollemi Pine.

Cheers,
Graham

From memory Dengue has 4 subtypes, catch one subtype and you usually recover, catch a second subtype and the possibility of dying from dengue haemorragic fever is highly possible. :( I can't remember the exact statistics but it's can be a nasty disease. It's also called "break bone fever" due to the way it makes your bones ache. It's all on google for those interested.

Here's the ABC story. Ha notice how they don't name the plant..... Typical....
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-29/native-australian-plant-kills-dengue-virus/10043820

Often news reports tout the latest and greatest find or cure, these things then need to go through ethics committees, govt regulation, clinical trials etc and can take 10 to 15 years before they hit the general market.
All heading in the right direction though and hopefully will give the desired results.

Interested me as the old man contracted dengue in new guinea along with malaria
He kept having recurring gut issues and othe stuff for years afterwards.
No matter what the doctors said or did nothing would stop the recurrances every 3 -4 years.

Wasn't good..

No, they wont name the plant. They will (eventually) make a pill or a vaccine out of it, and make money out of it, but it seems there is no money in curing people. In God's pharmacy, there is a cure for everything.
Mike.

Latest posts