Donate your organs and save a life.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This can be a touchy subject for some so I ask that anyone with negative views to please keep these to themselves.

I'd like to encourage forum members to consider donation their organs in the unfortunate event of death (which like taxes will catch up with you eventually). I saw something on the television the other day about the very small percentage of Australians who are registered donors versus the number of people awaiting a life saving transplant. I can't recall the exact figure but I immediate thought to myself that we could do much better than that.

I would like to urge anyone who has not registered as an organ donor to consider doing so. Ultimately it's up to the individual to make the decision but I figure if I prompt one person at least consider becoming an organ donor than my job here is done.

Donate your organs and potentially save a life http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/australian-organ-donor-register

Cheers,
Nugget

I'm a donor. I've always said that my organs are stuffed from years of abuse then I find out that it isn't only organs, they can use all sorts of bits and pieces. I won't be needing them after I'm dead so someone might as well get some use out of them.
:) Mick

Thanks for this. I've always wondered where to sign up for this since they removed the donor register from our drivers licences. I do have a medical condition (thankfully not life-threatening) and I doubt any of my bits and pieces would be useful by the time I go but the doctors know best and if there's anything they can re-use then they are welcome to it. :D

I bet the licence and passport seller won't spam this thread
I agree it is a very precious gift to give as your last horrah
You don't need them after the fat lady has sung
Just hope to god you don't get my eyes
They like to wander a bit lol :p

Hey Wal,

If you check out before me, can I have your eyes so I can finally see where the gold is?

Yours in anticipation.

Retirement Stone

I've been trying for a while to sign up and as luck would have it, Medicare doesn't have my current address. One would think that with the linking of many Commonwealth Government departments to the MyGov website all of one's personal information would be uniform for each department. Additionally, the registration form for organ donation could be simplified for someone signed in to MyGov - EG: No need to supply name, address and phone number again, just tick a few boxes relating to donation options and press submit.

Far be it from a government to make life simple though. Now I have to wait a day for this supreme MyGov system to update its brain so I can go through all this again. That said, the effort will be worth it.

I'm with you mudguts I'm a donor take anything you need just please leave the eyes. Sounds stupid but if there is anything else there I wanna see where I'm going. My Missus calls me weird for thinking that way but I'm glad I'm not the only one

I have ticked the box as a donor for years. Take the lot, eyes and all. If I'm gone, i'm gone and I expect to get hot as hell afterwards (cremation). So I'm sure my eyes would be ashes if still there in the skull anyways. If somehow my eye can give a young person sight then yeeehaaa. For that matter any of the other stuff they can salvage from me is all theirs. I would be tickled pink if any of it helps anyone.

Cliff

I'm a donor. If there is anything left in working order when I am dead then they can use. :)

Good topic Nugget

Dont forget to have a quick chat with the family wife partner etc. Informing them of your choice is very helpful if I the case of misfortune they get the phone call or are attending the hospital. Often next of kin are asked I believe and at the very least both parties will know where they stand on donating. Found out during that conversation with my parents one was opting for the dirt nap and one cremation. I'm on board and registered to donate but I draw the line at donating to science.

i thought it was still part of the drivers license , has it really been removed ?

no problem with donating for organ transplant but not sure about science experiments , i have kissed a student nurse or two and i would hate one of them to be sitting there when a curtain is pulled back to see me on the table :/

HeadsUp, hasn't been on our licences for a couple of years. The simple life has passed us by unfortunately. There was some difficulty with the legality of the old system and rather than fix up the loophole in the old laws that could see the executor of the deceased person's will or a relative override a person's donor status they decided to create a whole new system that not everyone can access. You'd be surprised at how many people don't use the Internet. I know several people who don't even own a computer.

If they fixed up the old system at least if someone died in a motor accident a doctor could there and then determine the victim's donor status and arrange for what they need to reuse just by looking at the victim's licence. The merit with the new system is that everyone is on a central database but it is harder for some people to register and the ease of getting on a register was easier with the old way, just tick a box whilst reapplying for your licence.

I have been on the donor list for years. It might affect my family's emotions but i will let them have any part they need. It definitely won't worry me.
My brother died in a car accident when he was 20, in 1968 and even then we were informed that they had used some parts, exactly i can't remember, and all we could feel was happiness for the recipient families.
Jaros

Fully agree Nugget

When I'm gone and my family is grieving then if one of my organs stop another family grieving then that's a bonus ontop of everything else my life has ever achieved.

Although a little personal for a public forum perhaps I will say that when Mrs Dec and I lost our first daughter shortly after birth we made any and all biologicial material available to the doctors if they could make use of them what so ever. Don't know if any was used, I don't need to know if it was to know it was the right decision. Not looking for sympathy, we all have a our heart aches but I did want to emphasise just how worthy a cause it is.

Make sure your loved ones and those with power of attorney know your wishes too. Sometimes it can take just too long to find the paperwork.

Regards
Dec

Latest posts