Dog rash

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Who knows a bit about dogs?
My girl developed a red belly rash. Took her to the vet, vet did a skin scrape, said no mites, contact allergy. Put her on cortizone and anti histamines.
Said it would get better in about 5 days, its got worse.
Has lumps on her side, like boils. Skin looks like sun burn, was peeling last 2 days, not as bad today.
I feel sorry for her, she has been home bound for a week and not herself.

1510409711_img_20171111_234441.jpg

He looks like a staffy there well known 4 it try some tea tree oil bath him in it ill try to get on 2 some one 4 u today that has dog had it my cattle dogs used 2 get it if u r in qld heat humidity and grass because there drying out ( barley grass)they play factors

That's right it ,like any thing e.g fly spray it a plant base (pyrethrem) but time it been diluted in the can and propellant it not that harmful he best checking with he vet some medicine dont mix actually i use as preventive medicine feas an d skin problems, cortizone is only masking agent the trouble were i live 300 ks anyone u can't pop down to the vet. I had a dog bitten by snake (king brown). I did some thing that's not in the medical book but it has worked twice now, my dogs are only your best mate out here (dingo fence area) they do the work 3 people.I've got 2 dogs 4 bitches 17 pups at the moment yes you can overdose them on it believe you me they drool and vomit etc. but i wonder what his vet bill was (not that matters u spend on them) but is going 2 be ongoing ,find the problem you might manage it.

G'day dave
We used to breed and show bullmastiffs and this looks like a condition called hot spots certain breeds are susceptible to it .
We used a product called dairy salve to treat it , all it is is a cream that farmers use on cow udders it's cheap and works !
And it's completely safe , give it a go .

Hey dave. I agree with diamo gold. Looks like hot spots to me. I breed and train Greyhounds and hot spots usually occur from an excess of vitamins and minerals. Zinc cream eg bumrash cream applied to the blisters will help and also a antiseptic spray eg tru blu. I also like to use diluted eucalyptus oil as a preventative and good for fleas

Diamo gold said:
G'day dave
We used to breed and show bullmastiffs and this looks like a condition called hot spots certain breeds are susceptible to it .
We used a product called dairy salve to treat it , all it is is a cream that farmers use on cow udders it's cheap and works !
And it's completely safe , give it a go .

Yes same same .................... my Rotties are susceptible to it but as dog has been to the vet and the blisters may not be the case as would have thought the Vet would have picked that one ? Good luck with her Dave I know it's not good and worrying when the fur kids are crook :Y:

Bumdags sounds right, Hotspots. Need a cream with Zinc, Sulphur, Magnesium. My father used to own a Veterinary Supplies store and treated things like this on a daily basis, if you cant find a cream of similar ingredients I'll give him a call he may still have some, I remember he used to make his own in big batches, looked like he was making honeycomb.

Hello Dave,

Wife bred shihtzu for a few years, tried lots of treatments, ended up using Traditional Listerine and neotopic on her English import, worked for him as and when the hot spots appeared,, she found that heat and yeast contributed to his heat spots

ray

hey dave, i have a few vets in the family and showed them your posts. recommend go back to the vet as clearly not a typical allergic skin disease as was suspected due to the poor response from meds. Could be bacterial and need antibiotics asap. hope all works out.

Thanks again, I will take her to the vet again today.
Did some google work, and it does look like hot spots, hope we can clear it up asap, poor girl is not her self.

Vet wouldn't stop apologising, didn't think it was as serious as it got, now on anti biotics for 3 weeks, medicated shampoo, malisab, and conditioner, $310 later.....

Hearing ya Dave .......................... sorry sorry but heres a bill for ya Costs more to take an animal to the vet than a child to the doctor I've found.

davent said:
Vet wouldn't stop apologising, didn't think it was as serious as it got, now on anti biotics for 3 weeks, medicated shampoo, malisab, and conditioner, $310 later.....
Would you have done it any other way Dave :Y: I know I wouldn't have :)

mate do you have any rheo in the garden.little ground cover purple and green,and give hanna a call from aussie pooch.

Yeah I do Brian. I think that's where it started actually, she went for a swim in the pool, then rubbed her self on it, I have a line of it on my pool fence. Vet showed me a pic of it, and that's what I think started it.
Funny though, she's done it for 3 years, and only just reacted to it now?

Latest posts