Does a Bigger Coil Mean Quicker Battery Drain?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, that's good. I have only used the 11 mono to date and thought a backup battery maybe necessary.

The backup battery can be handy if you go out for days at a time because the battery barely does a day and takes many hours to charge. If you forget to charge it one day you'll be out of action the following day.

The backup battery can be handy if you go out for days at a time because the battery barely does a day and takes many hours to charge. If you forget to charge it one day you'll be out of action the following day.
The 6000 seems to work better earlier in the day on a freshly charged battery with the 11" mono. Later in the day it can struggle and becomes unstable. Could be EMI, ground temp or detector temp I guess overloading it. A backup battery might give me some answers.
I am also going to give the 14" DD coil a go to see if that helps to make it more stable. Last 10 day trip drove me insane (false targets, EMI, ground noise etc). The 14" DD coil is too big really for the ground I detect but I will see if that helps also.

The 6000 seems to work better earlier in the day on a freshly charged battery with the 11" mono. Later in the day it can struggle and becomes unstable. Could be EMI, ground temp or detector temp I guess overloading it. A backup battery might give me some answers.
I am also going to give the 14" DD coil a go to see if that helps to make it more stable. Last 10 day trip drove me insane (false targets, EMI, ground noise etc). The 14" DD coil is too big really for the ground I detect but I will see if that helps also.
NedK
~I have 4 back-up batteries for my GPX 6000. What’s missing in the GPX 6000 kit is it cigarette lighter charger to charge a detector battery inside a vehicle, maybe see if you can get one or hook up one.
~Check your GPX 6000 “serial number” with Minelab and see if it needs the audio recall update done by a serviceman to make the detector “run quieter”.
~There were some faulty ML GPX 11 mono coils that people have sent back and got new ones from Minelab.
~Also, the Nuggetfinder Xceed 12x7 mono coil “is quieter than” the stock factory ML GPX 11 mono coil. A lot of people also like the Coiltek Goldhawk 9 round and 10x5 mono coils, but “not” the 14x9 mono as much.
~Make sure you’re coil cable is properly connected to your control housing.
~Run your sensitivity *lower* “in noisy hot ground”, you will not lose much depth.
~Lift your detector coil off the ground a couple of inches or so “in noisey hot ground”, do not rub the ground.
~Yes generally the GPX 6000 will pick up more hot rocks and be a more noisey machine than previous Minelab models but it will pick up smaller gold deeper especially gold specimens.
~Yes definitely use the ML GPX 14 DD coil “in noisey hot ground” and in high EMI for sure. I wish Minelab would have also made a smaller sized DD coil available for the GPX 6000.

Last edited:

NedK
~I have 4 back-up batteries for my GPX 6000. What’s missing in the GPX 6000 kit is it cigarette lighter charger to charge a detector battery inside a vehicle, maybe see if you can get one or hook up one.
~Check your GPX 6000 “serial number” with Minelab and see if it needs the audio recall update done by a serviceman to make the detector “run quieter”.
~There were some faulty ML GPX 11 mono coils that people have sent back and got new ones from Minelab.
~Also, the Nuggetfinder Xceed 12x7 mono coil “is quieter than” the stock factory ML GPX 11 mono coil. A lot of people also like the Coiltek Goldhawk 9 round and 10x5 mono coils, but “not” the 14x9 mono as much.
~Make sure you’re coil cable is properly connected to your control housing.
~Run your sensitivity *lower* “in noisy hot ground”, you will not lose much depth.
~Lift your detector coil off the ground a couple of inches or so “in noisey hot ground”, do not rub the ground.
~Yes generally the GPX 6000 will pick up more hot rocks and be a more noisey machine than previous Minelab models but it will pick up smaller gold deeper especially gold specimens.
~Yes definitely use the ML GPX 14 DD coil “in noisey hot ground” and in high EMI for sure. I wish Minelab would have also made a smaller sized DD coil available for the GPX 6000.
Thanks for the great info Deano.
Wondering why you have 4 back-up batteries?
I have been thinking about a Coiltek Goldhawk 10x5 mono coil in the absence of an 11" DD or smaller DD being available for the GPX 6000. Limited choice.
I have detected the same area multiple times with success using only using the GPX 11 mono coil until the latest trip. Both EMI & ground noise have dramatically increased. Less noise from a Goldhawk mono may help but it is a gamble.

Thanks for the great info Deano.
Wondering why you have 4 back-up batteries?
I have been thinking about a Coiltek Goldhawk 10x5 mono coil in the absence of an 11" DD or smaller DD being available for the GPX 6000. Limited choice.
I have detected the same area multiple times with success using only using the GPX 11 mono coil until the latest trip. Both EMI & ground noise have dramatically increased. Less noise from a Goldhawk mono may help but it is a gamble.
NedK
Yes I have 4 back-up GPX 6000 batteries for a total of 5. Because they take so very long to charge up, and always extra spare batteries would be ready at hand without any worries at all of running out. Also, if there’s more batteries then there is less discharge and recharge cycles so they last longer (not wear out as fast) in the long run, so they can be rotated in order by numbering all my batteries 1 through 5 with a marker pen to be used in a numbered sequence so not to use the same battery twice in a row.
~Yes the CT Goldhawk 10x5 or 9 round are very good choices from what I hear, but do not buy the 14x9 because wait for the better NF Xceed 16x10 to come out in the future. I do not own a CT Goldhawk but I do own a NF Xceed 12x7. The NF’s wires are most secured, are very durable, last a very long time, and do not wear out, except like any other coil being under the skid plate.

NedK
Yes I have 4 back-up GPX 6000 batteries for a total of 5. Because they take so very long to charge up, and always extra spare batteries would be ready at hand without any worries at all of running out. Also, if there’s more batteries then there is less discharge and recharge cycles so they last longer (not wear out as fast) in the long run, so they can be rotated in order by numbering all my batteries 1 through 5 with a marker pen to be used in a numbered sequence so not to use the same battery twice in a row.
~Yes the CT Goldhawk 10x5 or 9 round are very good choices from what I hear, but do not buy the 14x9 because wait for the better NF Xceed 16x10 to come out in the future. I do not own a CT Goldhawk but I do own a NF Xceed 12x7. The NF’s wires are most secured, are very durable, last a very long time, and do not wear out, except like any other coil being under the skid plate.
Thanks for your reply. I like your idea of rotating batteries. Definitely getting a backup battery to start.
After some research I think the NF Xceed 12x7 is the best option for my needs. The 10×5 Goldhawk is too small for general use and the NF Xceed 12x7 has a better reputation. It should allow me to get into more difficult spots. Do you find the NF quieter than the GPX 11 mono coil?
First up I am going to get my ML GPX 11 coil checked. I now suspect that may be causing some of the erratic behaviour. Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply. I like your idea of rotating batteries. Definitely getting a backup battery to start.
After some research I think the NF Xceed 12x7 is the best option for my needs. The 10×5 Goldhawk is too small for general use and the NF Xceed 12x7 has a better reputation. It should allow me to get into more difficult spots. Do you find the NF quieter than the GPX 11 mono coil?
First up I am going to get my ML GPX 11 coil checked. I now suspect that may be causing some of the erratic behaviour. Thanks again.
NedK
You’re welcome, and yes I can keep track of the battery rotation with a marker pen (1 to 5) on each of my 5 batteries.
~Yes your correct. “Yes I do think it is the best one” but don’t my only take my word but also check with other people if the NF Xceed 12x7 is the best one.
~Yes the NF is quieter than the GPX 11 mono coil. Again check with others as well. But I have heard from others that it is quieter. The NF coil wires are secured solid much better than the ML coil wires which have loose rattling movement of the internal wires inside the coil.
~Yes “do” get your ML GPX 11 coil checked because many people have returned some of these faulty coils (noisey, shielding on the loose internal coil wires worn off from rubbing movement inside the coil, and also cracked ears) back to Minelab and got them replaced with new ones. Then again some people are happy with these coils which is probably the later newer manufactured ones.

NedK
You’re welcome, and yes I can keep track of the battery rotation with a marker pen (1 to 5) on each of my 5 batteries.
~Yes your correct. “Yes I do think it is the best one” but don’t my only take my word but also check with other people if the NF Xceed 12x7 is the best one.
~Yes the NF is quieter than the GPX 11 mono coil. Again check with others as well. But I have heard from others that it is quieter. The NF coil wires are secured solid much better than the ML coil wires which have loose rattling movement of the internal wires inside the coil.
~Yes “do” get your ML GPX 11 coil checked because many people have returned some of these faulty coils (noisey, shielding on the loose internal coil wires worn off from rubbing movement inside the coil, and also cracked ears) back to Minelab and got them replaced with new ones. Then again some people are happy with these coils which is probably the later newer manufactured ones.
Deano
Your info has has made me more positive about my detecting which is important. Having the right equipment is important but some bad habits had snuck into my detecting technique which I am now aware of as well.
Cheers

Latest posts