do you think this ground would be worth a look??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
first up I still don't have a gold detector...

I have been doing so machine work on a friends property up near blackwood (vic) (images attached)
I have found some largish quartz rocks around the base of 2 trees looks like they have made there way to the surface as the trees have grown if I dig with hand bigger ones and more appear. photo was taken before I dug up a few foot ball size quartz.

1496394772_20170602_152113.jpg

also in the same line north - south about 20 metres away there are these rocks maybe a sandstone?? with quartz In them.

1496394904_20170602_152541.jpg

1496394929_20170602_153113.jpg

then again going north in a straight line about 50 metres away there are a few quartz/reefs?
hard to see in photos.

1496395125_20170602_153512.jpg

1496395151_20170602_153535.jpg

then on top there is this little bedrock with quartz

1496395250_20170602_160606.jpg

and again in the same line about 50 metres away a nice full line of quartz in a road cut. on the edge on the property

1496395407_20170602_154544.jpg

again it hard to see the size and the quartz in the photos but if you look hard you will see them. (I hope )
now my though is if you think its worth to run a detector over this ground ill go hire one if not I wont bother.

now reason I'm thinking it might be worth a look the property is only about 2km away of some mines running on the same north to south reefs.
all the reef around the blackwood area run north to south same as the quartz I have found.

also does the quartz reef need to be in contact like one seem or can it be all broken peace like in the pics 4 and 5?

what do you guys think.

Iv done a lot of detecting in and around Blackwood and by the look of the photos I would definitely get a detector out for a sniff..

I'm no expert mate but I'll say this, odds are the old timers if in the area would have assessed it being around a mines area.
So that leaves 3 scenarios. They found it but no gold. They found it and took the easy gold in the area. They didn't find it and it's only come to light since they left the area.
I reckon wave a detector around and see what you find. Plenty of places I've had a scratch in the dirt because it looked like it might be worthwhile. Good luck.

Only one way to find out mate? Or i guess you could wait for me boasting to you all about the nuggets I found there.......haha

Why don't you loam a few bits of ground and run it through a high banker or pan it out using a dam as your water supply. If you find decent colour then your decision will be hire or buy a detector.

Always somone here on the forum willing to go help swing a hand 50/50 % just ask :)

Ben I'm looking at getting back into detecting after a 35 year break..... bloody hell makes me realize how old I got. :N:

One common thing I hear is you can't possibly be good at it right away and you need to learn each machine.
Sorry to rain on the parade, but it may be wiser to have a decent fella who knows his stuff come and have a look.
You are on private property anyway so no one else can come in and ransack the place.

Other than than pick out some samples dolly pot them up and pan them.

Good luck!

Ben2363
Definitely worth a swing. Blackwood is a known gold producing area.
Just because there is Quartz doesn't guarantee gold. But it certainly is a good indicator.
If you'd like someone to give you a hand PM me. 50/50 sounds like a good suggestion and I'd be open to it.
Cheers

Yeah mate looks the goods, all the research in the world is not going to get the gold out of the ground get a detector and swing it over the ground and if you get gold good chance there is more.

Does it appear as though the old fellas pot holed or dug test holes in the reef anywhere? This can give you an indicator of which way the old fellas where following the reef.

Hi, I've got a GPX5000 and a a small banjo sluice, if you like I'll save you the cost of hiring a detector which I believe costs around $150/day to hire.
Send me an e-mail if interested, however we split 50:50 on any finds.

G'Day Ben,
Sure looks good but looks can be deceiving! Spent a lot of time up around Blackwood and surrounds for not much gain except my leg muscles! Happy to come have a scout around just for shi*s and giggles and see what you have there! Once we suss it out we can go from there and just how big is this mates property? All the best with it mate and let us know how you go! Cheers Chris

When next out there, also grab some samples of the more 'friable' quartz, take home and crush/pan...

Tonnes of gold undetectable on some fields (even around say Bendigo)...cover all your bases before giving up..

okay so I spent Monday and Tuesday working on the property and on my brakes I been crushing up the quartz that I have collected though out the week and half. and there's colour..

sorry for the bad image.
1497994401_capture.jpg

also I found this in the bed rock.

1497994598_capture1.jpg

this one is harder to get to and there be a lot of work digging it out but do you think the bottom quartz vein be worth the effort as looks to be to be mineralized red in colour.

RM Outback the 4th and 5th photos are of what is left after we excavated the ground. think weathered sand stone. the ground was pure bush with tress grass and sticks till we got in there and dig a 200 by 200 flat area for a house and shed

Well done.
That looks like the centre of a turbopan, which is around 8cm wide?
Try and put a coin in the pic next time for size comparison.

Get a big 6ft bar and smash a bit of that vein away and dolly it up. Only way to tell mate.

Don't pour the slab for the shed just yet!

Latest posts